Discuss Fan isolators in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Monitor

I know we all instal fan isolators but is this just a habit or a necessity. Could a double pole switched fcu be used instead, feeding a permanent live and a switched live via a pull coard? Just a thought or have I missed something?

A recent very long winded post discussed this very subject. Do a search and you will find the answer. Well you will find lots of different opinions anyway lol.

I agree it all boils down to manufacturers instructions and they all say three pole isolation and 3 amp supply but if a permanent live and a switched live were fed from a FCU and the neutral that surely incorporates both isolation and fuse in one unit.

You could even feed it from a 3 amp MCB, doesnt matter where abouts on the circuit it is. But the question is, can you safely isolate a FCU?

The advantage of installing a 3 pole isolator is that all supplies are isolated in one action , whereas a fused spur isolating the permanent live and another switch isolating the switched live could lead to confusion with isolation ,
With ducted in line fans in loft spaces and remote areas to the room that its in , I feel its always best to provide local 3 pole isolation nearby to the fan , providing a local means of isolation ,

The advantage of installing a 3 pole isolator is that all supplies are isolated in one action , whereas a fused spur isolating the permanent live and another switch isolating the switched live could lead to confusion with isolation ,
With ducted in line fans in loft spaces and remote areas to the room that its in , I feel its always best to provide local 3 pole isolation nearby to the fan , providing a local means of isolation ,

So if I was to supply two line conductors from a FCU one permanent direct to fan one via a switch then to fan, if I switched off FCU both line and the neutral would be isolated. Or is running two conductors from a single terminal on a FCU wrong ?

I am losing the plot with this. If it's a ducted, in-line fan, or any other fan for that matter, who exactly is going to need to isolate it??? If it's a sparky who has been called in to look at it, then he will make sure its properly isolated before he/she looks at it, who else should be needing to work on it?? They are all class 2 anyway.

Habit and handy. Although strictly speaking ive never believed they are required by 7671, manuf instructions may ask for one but im unsure if they would ask for local. Although nearly all ask for a 3A fuse. I used to fit decent fans that didnt require them.

As for a fused spur for isolation, remove the fuse, seems its deemed good enough for isolation with a fuseboard with removable fuses, also MK fused spurs can be paddlocked with the fuse carrier out, unsure if that would be DP but you have always got the MS!

This is how I would install isolation for timer over run fans , I personally install 3 pole isolators , so as the fan can be isolated leaving the lights still in use , The fused spur controlling the light and fan with a 3 A fuse would isolate the live feeds to the fan , and fuse can be removed ,,

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Fan isolators in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net