Discuss Father in law's dodgy wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

R.Robertson

Hi, my father in law has had an electrician round whilst an extension was being built, the guy carried out the installatons of the final circuits for lighting and power and also placed a consumer unit in the extension which was a "temporary fix" whilst works were being carried out and has since literally disappeared off the face of the earth, if there was ever a candidate for alien abduction, he would fit the bill. the unit is being supplied by SWA via a double pole isolator (located in the external meter cupboard) and feeds the consumer unit via a 60A fused double pole isolator. I have a few questions so if someone has some spare time to answer them it would be appreciated.
A bit about my background. I am qualified to 17th and also have 2391 working more in the HV side of industrial settings, before that I was an electrical marine engineer in the Royal Navy, but have never touched domestic installations.
1) the SWA is not glanded at either end, I would have thought that although both isolators either end are plastic, the cable would still need glanding and the earth connected on either end.
2) as there is now 2 consumer units in the same property, wouldn't there be a need for a single point of isolation for the entire property?
3) from the 60A isolator the CU is fed via 10mm twin and earth, I get the feeling it should be at least 16mm for the current carrying conductors and am a bit concerned that the earth is only 6mm.
4) the buildings inspector has already said that a periodic inspection will suffice as the incredible disappearing electrician has left him with zero paperwork and an empty wallet, I'm going to presume there is no need to notify anyone that I am inspecting his property but what about actually putting it right?. As to gland the isolator in the meter cupboard I will have to remove the suppliers fuse.
5) as I didn't design/install the wiring for the installation does my father in law still need to have a wiring diagram for the house if he decides to sell it?

Oh and am I correct in thinking that the SWA has to be at least 60mm underground with a warning about underground cables attached? Because at the moment the guy has left it coiled up and dumped on top of the porch "just" out of sight.

any help would be appreciated, I have tried to be as descriptive as possible and would have attached a cct diagram but can't work out how to post it.

Many thanks

Robbie

I am not sure what you mean by the cu in the extensionas a temporary fix? To be honest you need a local spark to come to site to determine the situation as it's quite difficult to do on a Webb forum.

The disappearing electrician used the excuse of it being temporary so he could get away with it looking like someone had filled a cannon with cable and shot it at the wall, nothing referenced clipped or even nearly looking like someone had taken any time trying to make it look neat. the numbering of conductors in the CU was everywhere and you couldn't even get to the CU because all the cables were hanging down in front of the board. He said he would return when the walls were plastered and redo it, got paid by the father in law and then promptly disappeared touring Europe. This was about 3 years ago, maybe a little more as I was deployed at the time, and as its on the way to the basement and he's never mentioned it I've never really taken much notice.

Thanks for for the response

Robbie

aBFIVyFplf6Jc0v

well i cant see the picture for some reason, am keen to know more. About this Electrician and the Job he did.

Just love the Idea of a company name "Father-In-Law Dodgy Wiring Electrician's" how many i help you
Sorry just some thing that springs to mind when i was reading that bit.

Its been a while since the last "vanishing" spark was mentioned.......

What have you been doing since you did your course?[/QUOTE power generation, UPS backups and PDU installs/removals mostly then Went on a high voltage course last year to become an authorised person for HV switching and isolations, which is probably why I'm so concerned about the 6mm earthing arrangement now that I think about it. Haven't touched domestics at all since I completed a nicec domestic installer course about 3 years ago and never touched them beforehand.

Reply to Father in law's dodgy wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net