Discuss fault finding problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

-
Reaction score
extension re wire, with 15 way wylex consumer unit to 17th edition.
circuits

RCD A

1. 32amp upstairs sockets (original)
2. 32 amp cooker socket (new)
3. Kitchen sockets (new)
4, 20 amp boiler socket (original)
5. 6 amp downstairs lights (original)
6. Upstairs lights (original)

RCD B

1.32amp living room sockets (new)
2. 32 amp downstairs sockets (original)
3 32amp upstairs sockets (new)
5. 6amp upstairs light (new)
6. 6 amp outside lights (new)
7. 6 amp kitchen lights (new)

2 x RCBO's

one for smoke detectors
one for new large fridge freezer.

no appliances connected.

All dead circuit checks carried out on new and old. Continuity of all circuits correct. Polarity correct. And insulation readings correct. New main earthing throughout. New consumer unit wired up, as above. Customer wished all circuits to be separated as described to identify new from old in the future.

Ready for live testing. Energised all of RCD A circuits, energised all of RCD B circuits. RCD A tripped. RCD B stayed energised, however the 2 lighting circuits (6 and 7) when energised would trip RCD A. Tests on RCD A proved that it was defective so this was changed the next day. New RCD fitted to section A, and random tripping would occur on RCD A regardless of which sequence of breakers would be on, on section A or B. RCD B would still be on with no problems. All breakers switched off on RCD A, and RCD B all made, RCD A would trip again when 6 and 7 on b were made. The main neutral terminal to RCD A neutral busbar was disconnected. Polarity checks were now carried out between incoming live, and earth (240 volts), incoming live and RCD B busbar (240 volts), incoming live and RCD A disconnected and isolated busbar (240 volts). Since all circuits to RCD A neutral busbar were isolated from the maiin neutral terminal of the RCD A, I could not understand how this provided a potential difference. I disconnected all the circuits again from this busbar, re-did insulation readings between earth and neutral on RCD A. All circuits were in excess of 299 megs, apart from the new kitchen circuit which read 0 megs on one of the ring main neutrals, the other being 299 megs. I surmised that there was a direct short between one neutral and the earth, but could not understand why it was not recognised on the second. Since disconnecting the kitchen circuit and neutrals, RCD A has remained energised and everything is working. what is more annoying is that the fault has gone.

Can somebody please explain to me why making a breakers on RCD B will trip RCD A. I am happy that I have identified the correct circuit causing the problem. If you can follow this, you need a good stiff drink. Much obliged.

Looking through this lot,

I can only think that you may have two problems,

one being you may have a N conductor on the kitchen ring nipped against the back box with the pattress screw making int. contact (been there done it).

two, and as you cannot pick up the fault on the other RFC conductor, you may have the wrong Neutral (on the wrong side of the board).

Isolate first and then pull your N conductors out of the respective bars and check again IR or continuity between circuits, or at least between the suspect circuits.

Last edited:
on the kitchen ring, are you sure you have both ends in the same side of the board? due to you doing an IR test which was >299 on one leg but not on the other?

Got me spark68

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you perform a ring continuity test on the Kitchen ring?

Also when you did your dead testing were the sockets fitted in place or just supported by the cables? When you did your live testing had you fitted your sockets to the backboxes?

There's a chance that even the screws that secure the back box to the wall etc may be putting enough pressure on a cable to produce low readings. I have noticed that it is possible to leave indentations on cables from the earthing bar on the back of an MK socket which had me chasing my tail for a good couple of hours. Fault would clear when socket removed and ve apparent again once refitted lol

First of all I am not trying to insult you but have you checked that you have all your circuits connected properly ie you have not mixed up a neutral fault finding sounds complicated but it can be easy if you do it step by step a bit like the alarms some guys wire them up and cannot figure out why they have problems but if they do it step by step this does 2 things one the learn it easier and two if they do have a problem it was the last thing they worked on

left the system tagged out (isolated) no one is living in it at the mo.thanks for all the feedback. custommer wanted RCBO protection for smoke alarms. did not want them connected to any other cuircuit. depending on whose best practice you read varies in the correct way to do these!re the tripping, the snagging on the neutral does seem to be the most probable and since the circuit has been isolated from the board, everything has stablised. would also explain how the neutral busbar could provide a potential while isolated from the system. I did check all the circuits but will re chaeck to make sure nothing is swapped around. intend going over everything with a magnifying glass today, and re checking. This has caused me to chase my arse a lttle and it has not helped that i have had other trades working all over me (even though the custommer said i would be alone). They seemed more worried about making a cup of tea, and shouting 'havent you fixed it yet sparks', which does add to the flavour of the day.

Reply to fault finding problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net