Discuss Festool in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Leesparkykent

Esteemed
Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 208
It had better be good quality gear for that price !

What are you looking for in a drill ? I noticed the one you linked to looks to be a drill/driver with no hammer function.

All my gear Is makita ATM but was thinking of slowly changing over to festool. ^^^
This is the 18v hammer drill.

Festool Cordless hammer drill BHC 18 Li-Basic 564606

It had better be good quality gear for that price !

What are you looking for in a drill ? I noticed the one you linked to looks to be a drill/driver with no hammer function.
chippies use festool plungsaws etc, its supposed to be good kit.

ill stick to makita for a few more years

Hmmm, not really heard much about them as a brand apart from being aware they exist. Can't be of any us to you there I'm afraid.
I know I'm biased as it's the kit I use..but if you are thinking of changing system and have that sort of money to spend, consider Milwaukee. I took delivery of my sexy new brushless 18V SDS+ on Friday and its a beast and a half. My little Milwaukee combi drill is also doing very well after nearly 4 years of service... still works like new as do the batteries.

Hmmm, not really heard much about them as a brand apart from being aware they exist. Can't be of any us to you there I'm afraid.
I know I'm biased as it's the kit I use..but if you are thinking of changing system and have that sort of money to spend, consider Milwaukee. I took delivery of my sexy new brushless 18V SDS+ on Friday and its a beast and a half. My little Milwaukee combi drill is also doing very well after nearly 4 years of service... still works like new as do the batteries.

Now that does look a good bit of kit.

The best saws and drills out there.
I've got the 12V C12 with 3Ah batteries, it is good for drilling into anything but the hardest masonry (where I use the SDS), but otherwise is used for everything else. The attachments supplied allow you to get into into many positions that other drills cannot.
Add in the quickly detachable drill and screwdriver chucks, which make it so easy to use.

Beware of what batteries are supplied with the pack, get the 3Ah upwards, the 1Ah are not too good - my battery can last a week, whereas my old 18V Bosch would need a recharge every day.

2nd hand value - I paid around £360 for my first kit (new), used it for 3 years, put it on ebay, and got £150 for it, there's not many drills hold their value as well.
They come with Insurance for a year when new, break it/have it stolen, then Festool will replace it all for £100. (check that is still running, it was last year when I got a new one)

I have a festool cordless jigsaw and a 110v ts55 plunge saw.both are fine pieces of Germanic engineering.
the festool gear is a properly thought out system of high quality base tools and (expensive) accessories.
the DRC and PDC drills are rebadged protool which are a sister company of festool which were more the construction tools part of the festool organisation vs the finishing woodwork festool brand.
would I buy that drill?
yes with no hesitation

Rubbish just retuned the one we had it would not drilljoists with 25mm speed bits.
We have two of their saw which are great but disappointedwith the drill.

Must say I'm surprised at that.
its one of the reasons I don't have all my tools from one manufacturer though.
i just buy what I think does the job best.
best drill I have for boring timber is a Milwaukee brushless 18v. It will bore all day long.
most versatile is a metabo with a similar system to the festool.
grinders are metabo
saws festool
sds metabo
sds max hilti
all my years of being a tool ---- have got me to the stage that I know what I like.
other people have different preferences of course.

..........all my years of being a tool ---- have got me to the stage that I know what I like.
other people have different preferences of course.

Me also. Festool are great tools, they're well thought out, well built and very reliable. They're not cheap however but I have a slide saw which is brilliant and a festool cordless drill kit which comes with 5 different interchangeable chucks including a right angle chuck and a eccentric chuck which allows holes to be made right up to the edge of something.

I'd highly recommend them as a brand.

untitled2.jpg

Festool 769192 18v Quadrive DRC Cordless Drill 4.2ah Set

Whats peoples thoughts on festool? Seen a few chippy's use it and looks like good quality gear.

I invested in one last year ... it has yet to see really heavy use. That said, I am impressed with its capabilities so far. The level of torque available and the fact that it is able to apply that through a right angle drive ... included ... means that it is 2 tools in one. Add up the cost of any manufacturers' top of the range combi hammer drill and their right angle drill and look at the performance figures and I think that you will find this becomes a much more competitive option!

... the PDC provides the hammer drill function.

Last edited:
The best saws and drills out there.
I've got the 12V C12 with 3Ah batteries, it is good for drilling into anything but the hardest masonry (where I use the SDS), but otherwise is used for everything else. The attachments supplied allow you to get into into many positions that other drills cannot.
Add in the quickly detachable drill and screwdriver chucks, which make it so easy to use.

Beware of what batteries are supplied with the pack, get the 3Ah upwards, the 1Ah are not too good - my battery can last a week, whereas my old 18V Bosch would need a recharge every day.

2nd hand value - I paid around £360 for my first kit (new), used it for 3 years, put it on ebay, and got £150 for it, there's not many drills hold their value as well.
They come with Insurance for a year when new, break it/have it stolen, then Festool will replace it all for £100. (check that is still running, it was last year when I got a new one)

It is ... and the theft cover is for the 3 yrs of their warrantee! I would say the best deal around! There is a YouTube clip of an American guy really abusing a Festool cordless drill, including dunking it in water ... and it still went on going!

I was shocked when I tried on it on site a few joiners also were surprised.
not cheap at £385.00 I thought it would be better than the others also thought right angle attachment would be good.

Your link is to the PDC. It is a percussion drill not a hammer drill. It now comes with 5Ah batteries. After killing 2 Dewalts in a year I bought one. It goes through hardwood joists no problem - 25mm and more! The right angle chuck means you don't have to carry a second right angle drill.

If if you want a hammer drill then you need to look at the BHC.

3 years warranty and theft insurance. You can't really argue with that.

Last edited:

Reply to Festool in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net