Discuss fire detection flat above office in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've got a property that has a basement then an office on the ground floor then a flat above.

It has a shared entrance into a hallway then staircase upto the flat.

What type of fire detection does it need? how do i find out?

Would mains interlinked smoke detector on each floor be apropriate?

Let me know if you have any thoughts

Few things you need to consider....1. is the office classed as a commercial premises, employing staff..2. is the flat being rented out...3 the size of the office and ground floor..4 is there any combustible materials being stored... 5. alongside a fire alarm, has emergency lighting and signage been evaluated....6 has a fire risk assessment and strategy report been conducted.

If the office had a fire Alarm, You should have a detector at least in the lobby of the flat with a sounder. You have to remember that the flat is above the shop meaning its the same property.
You'd want to know if they have a fire and likewise they'll need to know if you do.

You can also for extra additional coverage put in mains smokes & heat in the kitchen to give you more than adequate detector. These are also better to be interlinked.

If its a commercial premises, it will require a full fire alarm system....hence my questions in last post...you can not go sticking domestic mains smoke detectors, in property which requires a life category.

If u actually read my response it states if the office already has a fire alarm.
I am not in anyway stating u can just use mains doms. If there was more to go on we could easily state what category of fire alarm it should be.
Think u need to read whats been said....

I read it very carefully, were you have stated additional mains smokes and heats interlinked...again hence my questions to the op without presuming anything

Lmfao i read it pretty clear when i passed the course. With regards u tool - not Illegal for a FLAT to have main detectors.
That is correct unless it forms part of a commercial building then it is not permitted, as 1 the system must be integral 2. all sounders must be of the same type and tone............Any other points you wish to clarify, and lastly call anyone on here a tool on this forum and i can not see you lasting very long

Jackflash - going on what you've said i think it'll be given an L3 at least may even go to L2.

Cover each room in the flat; except bathroom. Also cover the roof void (attic). Put call points on exit routes.

Smokes cover a distance of 7.5m
Heats cover a distance of 5m
Should be able to find a call point in 45-90m.
Make sure the system has 2 sounder lines.

Instead of an Addressable system you're best off looking at a conventional. By the info you've given i would suggest a 4 zone panel.
(Z1 office, Z2 basement, Z3 flat. Z4 spare) (just assuming the info given is correct)

Hope that helps

Big difference between L2 and L3.....and every room will be L1......so which category are you exactly advising.
call points should be within 45m distance of each other....not 45-90m
Sorry Paul your advice is very misleading, to the op

L1 is Everything meaning small (1mx1m) cupboards. L2 is an L3 with additional rooms/spaces to be covered. So u talk about a Big difference. Such a massive difference.

That is correct unless it forms part of a commercial building then it is not permitted, as 1 the system must be integral 2. all sounders must be of the same type and tone............Any other points you wish to clarify, and lastly call anyone on here a tool on this forum and i can not see you lasting very long

Thought that was something they were recommending on the latest courses...

L1 is Everything meaning small (1mx1m) cupboards. L2 is an L3 with additional rooms/spaces to be covered. So u talk about a Big difference. Such a massive difference.

Please read the standards...a room of 1m x 1m is also not required under L1 unless is constitutes a fire risk, such as db cupboard.
The more you comment the more miss leading you are becoming to the op, L2 is not L3 with additional rooms added...if so what are theses so called rooms....?
As a newbee, Electrical Trainee with little experience, which is showing on every addition post you add, who has attended a fia 1 day course...I really think you need to think again abaut telling a BSI design Engineer his 25 year trade

Last edited:
Im sooo missing leading... I dont need to read it again. I know enough to know what i have said it perfectly fine. So u can keep trying to talk to me like a child.
Next u'll be telling about how to test a fire alarm system.
So please again try n correct when i say 1 detector/device per zone is can be classed as a periodic Inspection.

Reply to fire detection flat above office in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net