Discuss fire proofing in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

amckay

You know the pink expanding foam plumbers use for fireproofing holes etc is it OK to use around a hole with a cable run through?
The site I'm on are using it but our supervisor is off today so will check on Monday. I've had a read of the info on the can and nothing is mentioned. I know the yellow expanding foam mustn't be used as it degrades the cable but wasn't sure about the pink fire rated stuff.

You know the pink expanding foam plumbers use for fireproofing holes etc is it OK to use around a hole with a cable run through?
The site I'm on are using it but our supervisor is off today so will check on Monday. I've had a read of the info on the can and nothing is mentioned. I know the yellow expanding foam mustn't be used as it degrades the cable but wasn't sure about the pink fire rated stuff.

Possibly a bit late now....but cable could go into a short length of pvc conduit which goes through the wall.,then seal round the conduit

Possibly not really fire proof as such thinking about it.

Doesn't answer the question, but...
Foam is a pretty good thermal insulator. Depending on the length of cable covered, you may need to de-rate the current carrying capacity of the cable.
Intumescent mastic would be better.

Doesn't answer the question, but...
Foam is a pretty good thermal insulator. Depending on the length of cable covered, you may need to de-rate the current carrying capacity of the cable.
Intumescent mastic would be better.

Yes realized that afterwards.. Iwas thinking of just sealing the wall where cable passed through. Reduces the draft I suppose lol

Is it a requirement to fireproof new builds then? I know they try to seal new builds and carry out a pressure test to reduce heat escaping etc but fire proof?

Its a block of flats that's been gutted out and a full £million reverb.
It was the plumbers who filled it, which I wasn't happy about and told them not to do it until my supervisor says otherwise

Its a block of flats that's been gutted out and a full £million reverb.
It was the plumbers who filled it, which I wasn't happy about and told them not to do it until my supervisor says otherwise

I see...........i know if using trunking to go from floor to floor etc the trunking that goes through the floor / ceiling must be a solid section that passes through. the lid must not be removable.

All the information you need will be on original specification for the project, grade and type. Along with all containment and cable specs..

Reply to fire proofing in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net