Discuss First Solar Job in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DurhamSparky

company i work for are looking at buying a Very Big System to power our UPS.. to the tune of 110kwh :)

looks like its going to be assembled by us rather than a contractor!

Purely DC system no inverter required and be clagged up to our UPS Battery's to provide charge capacity!

did not ask the cost as i can imagine it been very big!!

one word!! YES

its been worked out to save --- hundreds of thousands over the contract length and also be used as a Flagship to see if it can be utilised on other sites

lets just say other site i work at has a 300,000 sq ft roof to utilise as well as already having export meters fitted for Grid!!

one word!! YES

its been worked out to save --- hundreds of thousands over the contract length and also be used as a Flagship to see if it can be utilised on other sites

lets just say other site i work at has a 300,000 sq ft roof to utilise as well as already having export meters fitted for Grid!!

In that case should be a good project. Just thought that the main attraction to pv was the FIT's.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

FIT is for domestic market mainly i think!

im looking forward to it as it will be undertaken over a 4 months period!! Overtime galore i can see oming my way!

They seem to be forgetting that with FIT(s) you get paid to generate wether you use the power or not ....

Happy to advise on a % of what they'd earn over and above what they think they'll get at the moment!

Gordon

It will not be possible to claim FiTs if the system is designed entirely as DC. The only recognised meters are 230V ac. They could be claiming up to £30k a year.

It will not be possible to claim FiTs if the system is designed entirely as DC. The only recognised meters are 230V ac. They could be claiming up to £30k a year.

@TedM, I realised that, I've also designed and provided power systems to data centres, sometimes people jump to solutions without exploring all that's possible and looking at the whole financial situation, especially when they aren't aware of all the ins and outs, it may be worthwhile converting to AC and then back to DC just for the FITS! (£30k / yr x 25 yrs - £750k seems a lot of petential benefit to me!)

Gordon

unfortunately selling it back to the grid is not planned hence no inverter been installed, primary usage is to maintain a steady charge during light hours to the UPS batterys via a CoS

I don't think they need to be grid connected to claim FIT just as long as they have AC generating meter as Ted says. I don't know the ins and outs as to their overall eligibility on a system like this but if they're happy why rock the boat? Too many large installs like this claiming FIT will surely close the scheme down earlier than planned and installers will lose at a stroke all the potential domestic install income which simply wouldn't be there without FIT. Me selfish?

[FONT=&quot]@claypole

I understand your concern, so as part of our business planning for this year I looked to see who was installing systems, and where the market is and would likely to be, so I did a complete analysis of all the commercial installed value vs domestic inatsllated value that is registered under FIT and to date the TOTAL commercial and industrial element as a percentage of installed outup (kWp) is less than 2%

That isn't what was 'consuming' the FIT funding.

What triggered the early FIT review was the VERY LARGE solar - they had anticipated in the order of 100 5MW solar farms, and so far there are over 240 applications for accreditation (ROO-FIT) in the system (each site is accredited, not the installer just a bit of Ofgem terminology confusion) and that has the potential to totally destroy the small to medium (<50kW) systems that are covered by MCS.

And yes, they don't need to be grid connected, there is a banding in the FIT scheme - "Stand-alone (autonomous) Solar PV / Any Size / 29.3" not quite as lucrative, but still worthwhile. I'd be surprised if the FD of the company didn't look at the total value, even if it is to 'trickle charge' the batteries, the only way it may make economic sense is if they were hoping to charge the UPS during a power cut, however if it is a data centre it'll be 24x7 and they'll need more than batteries, they need good old fashioned diesel genny backup too (specced to many of these in my time and you do get some hair brained ideas from the techies!)[/FONT]

Excellent post and clearly from your research the "farm" side is way way larger concern than commercial premises. I guess for a lot of businesses the up front capital cost nature of the FIT scheme doesn't tie in too well with the lack of credit availability in today's climate.

Being off-grid is no barrier to registering and claiming FiTs. But the system still needs an accredited total generation meter (which are only available for 230V ac) and also the owner is required to sign an additional declaration to confirm that the power being generated is actually being used - and not just connected to a heat dump. These owners might also expect to be higher on the list of properties that will get an audit visit. Obviously there is no export amount that can be claimed.

Gordon, the Stand-alone rate doesn't apply for off-gridders. It is for systems that are directly exporting to the grid rather than via a house or other building. Off-gridders - with a house - get the standard rate based on TIC.

@TedM thanks, of course you're right wrt Stand-alone (to many late nights!)

With regards to claiming Off Grid Fits- does it have to tied to an address? One situation that springs to mind is narrow boats. 230AC no problem with meterage, just not static. Any thoughts TedM?

Reply to First Solar Job in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net