Discuss Flats Gas Meter Bond in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

Divided opinion over here so thought we would get a bit of advice.

Block of 30 flats recently had gas meters inspected and during a visit the National Grid issued the landlord with a letter saying that none of the external meters had any bond within 600mm as per regs.

Now I would have assumed that bonding would be local to each flat therefore where it comes into the building rather than at the meters for practical reasons (I'm sure I was told this as an apprentice) but now it's made me doubt myself and think should each has meter have a bond from the MET as most of the flats are owned and it is not practical to inspect each one for a bond.

Any second opinions before I terrify the landlord with a quote?

thanks in advance

Bonds should be within 600mm of the point of entry to the installation.

Each flat should have a bond as the pipe enters the flat and connected to the flat's MET

The gas supply into the whole building may also require bonding at its point of entry and connected to the intake MET

If the metres were located external to the building, the service pipes entering the building should all be main bonded to the buildings MET. Each flat should also have main bonding to the gas/water service pipes as they enter the flat and connected to the flats MET (building EMT)!!

The flats main bonding should be carried out even if the service supply into the building is plastic, which then continues on in copper/metallic pipe to the flats....

Ok. If you are stating that, contrary to 544.1.2, the gas pipe should be bonded on the supply side of the meter then the requirement is, where practicable, AT the point of entry.

Therefore the 600mm. does not apply to anything.

If the metres were located external to the building, the service pipes entering the building should all be main bonded to the buildings MET. Each flat should also have main bonding to the gas/water service pipes as they enter the flat and connected to the flats MET (building EMT)!!

The flats main bonding should be carried out even if the service supply into the building is plastic, which then continues on in copper/metallic pipe to the flats....

Hi E54,

Am I right in thinking that in this scenario the cables supplying the flats would have to incorporate a CPC of sufficient size to act as a bonding conductor as well? For example if the earthing arrangement was PME with a 120mm supply neutral for the whole building would the CPC's to the flats need to be at least 35mm? Sorry to if this is a silly question I have never worked on a multi-occupancy building.

Last edited:
*sighs*

i completely agree with geoffs interpretation.

with the regs book open in front of me , its clear as crystal - the 600mm connection point recommendation is to be applied to just internal meters , for external meters , bonds are connected as close to building entry as is practical.

position of the gas meter is​ relevent when deciding where to bond your pipes.

Hi E54,

Am I right in thinking that in this scenario the cables supplying the flats would have to incorporate a CPC of sufficient size to act as a bonding conductor as well? For example if the earthing arrangement was PME with a 120mm supply neutral for the whole building would the CPC's to the flats need to be at least 35mm? Sorry to if this is a silly question I have never worked on a multi-occupancy building.

No, size the CPC/bonding to the distribution circuit supplying each flat, same as you would do for any normal house supply!! Personally, if SWA cables are being used for the flats supplies, i would use a 3 core SWA, it makes life so much easier and is cheaper overall than running in a separate cable with a 2 core SWA cable, especially when you are talking about 30 runs of cable...

Only the connection between the service cut-out PME connection and the building MET (to which all of the flats EMT's should be connected to) needs to be a minimum of 35mm or greater.

*sighs*

i completely agree with geoffs interpretation.

with the regs book open in front of me , its clear as crystal - the 600mm connection point recommendation is to be applied to just internal meters , for external meters , bonds are connected as close to building entry as is practical.

position of the gas meter is​ relevent when deciding where to bond your pipes.

Before the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] a jumper would be fitted across the meter, I wonder why?

The point of service entry and the consumers installation are covered.

No, size the CPC/bonding to the distribution circuit supplying each flat, same as you would do for any normal house supply!! Personally, if SWA cables are being used for the flats supplies, i would use a 3 core SWA, it makes life so much easier and is cheaper overall than running in a separate cable with a 2 core SWA cable, especially when you are talking about 30 runs of cable...

Only the connection between the service cut-out PME connection and the building MET (to which all of the flats EMT's should be connected to) needs to be a minimum of 35mm or greater.

Thanks E54, I guess I was thinking along the lines of a single PME supply serving multiple separate buildings. If you can class each flat as a separate 'house' supply for these purposes that makes things easier. I have never worked on houses either so have limited experience. Again thanks for the info.

Before the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] a jumper would be fitted across the meter, I wonder why?

The point of service entry and the consumers installation are covered.

And now since the jumper is no longer there we are required to fit a temporary bond (jump lead affair) whenever we remove a meter - all of which would be unnecessary under the pre-16th.

Reply to Flats Gas Meter Bond in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net