Discuss Fluke 1653b tester problem?! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forums here, thought id ask some advice from you guys.

Basically i just bought a 1653b Fluke multifunction tester. My problem with the meter is that i cant seem to zero out the leads.

Heres my understanding of how i should be doing it (note this isnt working for me!)

- connect test leads (red and green)
- Set to Rlo
- Connect leads together and press and hold zero
- It flashes up test and clicks then the reading just appears as ------------ it never gives me a value for the test leads using this method.

If i just connect the test leads together then press 'test' i get a value or 0.08ohms for the leads, but when i try to zero the leads i am not getting any value atall.

Any help on the matter would be great, i just hope the meter isnt faulty!

I don't think you should get a value for the leads if you press the zero button - it's just there to tell you that it has been zeroed.

If you zero the leads, then test them without disconnecting them what value do you get? you should get zero!

Just tried you suggestion to make sure. It doesnt work, im still reading 0.07 through the leads. It says on the manual that it should display the zero'd symbol on screen when set, this never happens.

Hi Drew,

Just as J@mes says, shorting out the leads together then pressing the zero button and holding till it beeps(no matter what it reads on the display) . This should zero the leads and testing them together, pressing the on lead test button, should then give you a zero reading? Make sure that you have a tight connection between the tips as it will vary with any slackness at all!

Also as BB says, try pinching the clips together and testing again. the springs might have become a little weak, meaning the connection isn't as good.

My metrel warns that the results won't be as good when the batteries start to fade too.

Thanks for the reply's guys. Ran through all your suggestions and still havent got it. But i havent tried replacing the batteries and trying again, as the current capacity of the batteries in the meter are outing 5.6V so this is lower than the 6V threshold hopefully. Will try this today and get back.

Again thanks for the help guys, appreciate it!

on the 1653 when you zero the leads whatever it reads say 0.7 ohms it knocks it off your test result. so although it looks like it hasnt gone to zero it actually does compensate for it.

Reply to Fluke 1653b tester problem?! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net