Discuss Getting Started @ 28, So expensive! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Oh_Dear

Hi all,

This is my first postso be gentle

I'm currently 28 andhave decided I need a career change.

I did my workexperience as an electrician at school when I was 15, I enjoyed itand decided I wanted to be an electrician when I finished school, tomake things better I got an apprenticeship almost handed on a platefrom the council after my work experience.

After getting myresults for my GCSE's, which were mostly A*, A & B's I wasencouraged by the careers service, teachers and everybody else to doA-levels & Uni. Thats pretty much were it all went wrong. So aferhaving a degree for 7 years and being stuck in a admin job that imunlikely to ever get out of if I stay with the same company I'vedecided to start from scratch and try to become an electrician, doingit the proper way.

I've applied for acouple apprenticeships and had no luck, not that I was expecting any@ 28. After speaking to a friend who did the same about 5 years ago Idecided the best way is to put my self through college and try andfind some work as a labourer or mate.

I have enquired aboutthe costs of tuition @ Doncaster college for the C&G 2365 towhich I got the following reply:

“[FONT=arial, sans-serif]HiMark[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Thankyou for your email enquiry[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Thereis no specific deadline for applications, however we operate on afirst come first serve basis. The Electrical Installation courses arequite popular so I would recommend applying as soon as possible[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Thecourse fee for the Level 2 Electrotechnical is £1862.00[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Ifyou are currently unemployed and receive a state benefit such as JSA,ESA, Housing/Council tax then you may be able to get the course forfree. Alternatively the Financial Support Team has a tuitionfee fund that you may be able to access if your household income isless then £25,000. For further details please contact theFinancial Support Team on 01302 553553 ext. 4251[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Ido have to stress at this point that the government has withdrawnfunding for learners who are aged 24+ on a level 3 course. Whatthis means is once you have completed the level 2 and progress tolevel 3 there is no funding available and as a result the fee forlevel 3 would be roughly £3511.00 and that would have to be paidregardless of circumstances. The government have introduced a24+ learning loan as result of the cuts, the loan is available foranyone who is a UK resident and studying a level 3 course. Theloan would pay the college directly and you would pay the loan backonce you are earning over £21,000 income. For more informationplease visit thiswebsite [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learning-loans/overview[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Thanks[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]MarkMcLenaghan[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]CustomerService Advisor[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]DoncasterCollege DN1 2RF[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Tel:01302 553553 Ext: 2106[/FONT]

So in short im lookingat about £6000 to be funded by me to do the LVL 2&3. My friendwho did it a few years ago told me he paid a few hundred quid. Amassive part of the reason I want to get into the trade is I wantinteresting career I can make a living out of, in other words mycurrent job has not provided me with a comfortable living, so wheream I going to find 6 grand from?

Just wondering if thisis the only way into the trade, if anyone knows of any funding that Imay have missed or it would be possible to get sponsored by a companyor anything really. Is there any point me applying for moreapprenticeships being 28?

also in the mean time,should I just apply and try and sort the finances after, would I beunder any obligation to accept the course if they accept me, or wouldit affect my future applications if I put it on hold for a year ortwo to save the money up, not that time is on my side.

Any thoughts or inputwould be great, hate to sound so negative but it seems that trying toretrain on your own after your mid 20's is so difficult, and gettingany form of help or funding is near impossible, not mention I need torun a house throughout the training along with my partner.

Reply to Getting Started @ 28, So expensive! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net