Discuss GFCI 240 and 120 in the same panel? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,
I have to install two GFCIs close to my pool. One GFCI 240 volts will take care of the water heather and a 120 volts will take care of the pool pump. I am planning to install a small panel in which I will install both GFCI breakers. Will the GFCIs will work properly if one load more on one phase.

Thank you

Hello,
I have to install two GFCIs close to my pool. One GFCI 240 volts will take care of the water heather and a 120 volts will take care of the pool pump. I am planning to install a small panel in which I will install both GFCI breakers. Will the GFCIs will work properly if one load more on one phase.

Thank you
If you add a sub panel then you can install a GFCI at 240vac for the water heater and a GFCI at 120vac for the pump then you shouldn’t have any problems with this installation.

If you add a sub panel then you can install a GFCI at 240vac for the water heater and a GFCI at 120vac for the pump then you shouldn’t have any problems with this installation.
Thank you.
I bought my panel. There is a bus bar for the neutral wires and I connected both GFCI white (pig-tail from the 240 volts breaker and 120 volts breaker) wire with the white wire from the source. on this bus bar Do I also connect the ground wire on this bus bar?

Thank you again

Thank you.
I bought my panel. There is a bus bar for the neutral wires and I connected both GFCI white (pig-tail from the 240 volts breaker and 120 volts breaker) wire with the white wire from the source. on this bus bar Do I also connect the ground wire on this bus bar?

Thank you again
No you need to purchase a ground bar kit from Lowes or Home Depot and install it in your new panel. Any sub panel is required to separate all neutrals and grounds, make sure that you pull 4 wires from your main panel to your sub panel. Good luck and if you need any more advice please feel free to let us know.

No you need to purchase a ground bar kit from Lowes or Home Depot and install it in your new panel. Any sub panel is required to separate all neutrals and grounds, make sure that you pull 4 wires from your main panel to your sub panel. Good luck and if you need any more advice please feel free to let us know.
That make sense. I was thinking to use a big marette to attach the ground wire together but I will look for a ground bar.
The Siemens panel came with an option to connect the case ground to the neutral bus bar, they call it when bonding is required. By doing so, we just add a second wire to the white wire in parallel from the main panel but if this is a sub-panel, should I connect the neutral with the ground wire?

That make sense. I was thinking to use a big marette to attach the ground wire together but I will look for a ground bar.
The Siemens panel came with an option to connect the case ground to the neutral bus bar, they call it when bonding is required. By doing so, we just add a second wire to the white wire in parallel from the main panel but if this is a sub-panel, should I connect the neutral with the ground wire?
In your case bonding is not required. Buy a ground bar, install it in your panel. Always keep neutrals and equipment grounds separated in all sub panels. Your equipment ground from your main panel will terminate on this bar along with your grounds from your 2 circuits.

In your case bonding is not required. Buy a ground bar, install it in your panel. Always keep neutrals and equipment grounds separated in all sub panels. Your equipment ground from your main panel will terminate on this bar along with your grounds from your 2 circuits.
...my last question. Can I use the breaker as a disconnect, is this to code?

Sorry, it is not my last question.
The requirement for the pool heater is 240 volts one phase. Since I am connecting two out of phase 120 volts with the neutral wire connected to the pig-tail of the breaker,,,will I have one phase this way?
Maybe the water heater is not using the neutral wire?

The requirement for the pool heater is 240 volts one phase. Since I am connecting two out of phase 120 volts with the neutral wire connected to the pig-tail of the breaker,,,will I have one phase this way?
You are right about the water heater not needing a neutral, but I meant to add from the previous comment about the water heater having the breaker being the only disconnect. I was wrong and you are required to install a disconnect at the water heater. As far as your pump goes even though we call it single phase it requires 2 live, a neutral (if the instructions says it needs a neutral) and an equipment ground. The breaker will still provide protection without a neutral if needed.

Could you please take a picture of the wiring diagram on the pump and let me look at it. Thanks

Reply to GFCI 240 and 120 in the same panel? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net