Discuss Grand a week for Subbies ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score

Scroll to 2.40

seems a bit low to me ? subby rates even 10 years ago were £250 per day in Surrey so are they saying rates haven't gone up at all in the last decade

The rates are being driven down by the rush to quick training and the over production of semi skilled sparks you only have to look at how the JIB rates have increased over the last 10 - 15 years to see that

The rates are being driven down by the rush to quick training and the over production of semi skilled sparks you only have to look at how the JIB rates have increased over the last 10 - 15 years to see that
The last couple of big sites i worked on with multiple electricians and many of them could barely make off an swa without help , not sure where they are doing their training but I question if they are being taught thoroughly. I don't blames the young lads who have probably paid out a couple grand to qualify as electrician but if you can't do a simple task like glad a 16mm swa then I'm not sure the training was much cop

Depends on the area, around my way it was £120 a day a decade ago now its anywhere between £150 - £200.
WoW that is cheap labour , I know sparks who were pulling £150 a day on building site 15+ years ago

There must be some areas of the UK where wages really have stagnated for ages

WoW that is cheap labour , I know sparks who were pulling £150 a day on building site 15+ years ago

There must be some areas of the UK where wages really have stagnated for ages
Yeah, the area I'm from is one of the poorest paying in the UK. Most people have hardly enough to live let alone pay for repairs, additions improvements etc... So trades folk who work in the private sector locally tend to be of the cheapest rates. To earn decent rates you either have to travel or land good contracts.

Last edited:
The last couple of big sites i worked on with multiple electricians and many of them could barely make off an swa without help , not sure where they are doing their training but I question if they are being taught thoroughly. I don't blames the young lads who have probably paid out a couple grand to qualify as electrician but if you can't do a simple task like glad a 16mm swa then I'm not sure the training was much cop
I think you have answered your OP as to why the rates have stagnated

Reply to Grand a week for Subbies ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net