Discuss Grid Switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gafc156

hi all, wondered if anybody can point me in the right direction on this, i have just decided to leave job and go it alone, i have an assement
booked and need to provide a job for the date in question, if i install a grid switch for kitchen applainces, does it need to be in
the kitchen, or can i install it next to ccu in hall. cant find anything in regs that stipulates that it has to be with in a certain distance of appliances
or in the same room.

Thanks

Depends on the distance from the hall to the appliances mate, but why would you think that isolation directly above the appliance or near it would not be a better idea?

Don't forget mate, if you're using this as an assessment piece the assessor will be expecting you to be able to justify your design decisions. You most likely would not fail(for reasons discussed to death on other threads) but isolation in another room, even if it is within regs, seems a bit silly to me

sorry so late ,i agree with what you say about isolation, the only reason next to ccu is i dont`t like switched spurs etc above the work surface and small kitchen so mainly drawer units and no cupboards, ccu is about half a metre from kitchen

Ok you don't like them but could you fit switched spurs into a grid switch is my first question. Is this in your own home is another one.
Suppose something went horribly wrong and something needed to be isolated immediately, does having the switched spurs in another room still make sense?
I'm not trying to pee on your fireworks here, just putting another point of view

I installed a nice brushed chrome 4 way grid recently with the appliance names in black text, looked very smart.. This is what I'd do in preferred situation the fridge/freezer was the furthest appliance from the grid switch though but it was obviously clear what each switch was isolating

Was going to use 20a DP grid switches, appliances connected via single unswitched socket, i see your point and would rather install in kitchen but lack of space is an issue. And its a mates house that i will be using for assessment.
your not peeing on my fireworks, any help or views are much appreciated.

Cheers

Reply to Grid Switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net