Discuss Heating Wiring Problem - cylinder thermostat not working in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi all

I was wondering - do you think it's worth re-wiring the CylStat, so it's on ALL the time, as suggested by it's manual? (and what would I need to do, to achieve this?)

At the moment it only switches on when switching on the hot water..

See below revised wiring box
PXL_20220802_205109507.NIGHT_Original.jpg

Many thanks!
D

The green/yellow is the switched live from the stat, ideally that would fed the common of the thermostat which is currently done using the blue link wire within the stat. The brown conductor to the stat could the be moved to the permanent live terminal. You would need replace the flex for a 5 core as using the earth would be naughty...

To be honest, the cylinder stat was just the tip of the iceberg - just trying to solve things step by step.. 🤷‍♀️

My real problem is that my boiler seems to be overheating constantly, even though both heating and hot water are off.

After some discussions with the (somewhat questionable?) professionals mentioned previously, my understanding is that the following is happening:

The overheating causes the boiler pump to run almost constantly, as it tries to cool itself down.
(Observing it, I don't think it's actually firing up, but I could be wrong.)

While doing so it tries to pump water into the system. But with both HW and heating valves off, there's nowhere to pump to, so the pressure rises, and it get's stuck into a loop of doing the same over and over again.
This I can only assume is torturing the pump.

Seeing that the wiring has been rather sloppy, I'm suspecting that it might be a wiring mistake or the Nest that's causing the whole issue.

What do you guys think? 🤔

Photos of the current wiring box are just above and the Nest wiring, too.

Please let me know if you need further info, images or anything else for that matter..

MANY THANKS!
D

Last edited:
While doing so it tries to pump water into the system. But with both HW and heating valves off, there's nowhere to pump to, so the pressure rises, and it get's stuck into a loop of doing the same over and over again.

There should be a bypass of some sort in the pipework to prevent this from happening, usually an automatic bypass valve these days.

Your system will always continue to run the pump for a while after the demand for heating and/or hot water has gone off and the valves have closed. This is known as a pump overrun and is there to prevent excess heat building up in the boiler immediately after the burner goes off.

I take it, your pump is inside your boiler? Ideally you need someone who knows how to test properly/safety. After demand for heating and hot water has ceased, you need to ensure that there is no voltage on Live return conductor at the boiler. Also them boilers have a link inside them that needs removing when external controls are fitted as it gives the boiler a constant demand. If the link has been left in place and your valves are shut, this may be the problem. Maybe.

I take it, your pump is inside your boiler? Ideally you need someone who knows how to test properly/safety. After demand for heating and hot water has ceased, you need to ensure that there is no voltage on Live return conductor at the boiler. Also them boilers have a link inside them that needs removing when external controls are fitted as it gives the boiler a constant demand. If the link has been left in place and your valves are shut, this may be the problem. Maybe.
Hi diditrain

Thanks for your input!Sounds like this could be the case..
And yes, the pump is built into the boiler.
At the moment, when on, the heating LED is blinking and the pump is constantly on (I make sure to switch off the boiler after I don't need it).

I'd love to get someone competent in to solve this all asap, but as mentioned above, I've recently had some costly and unsuccessful experience with plumbers.. and I don't quote know who to turn to for this anymore.. Even the highest rated plumber on checkatrade, who came at a price, didn't pick up something as basic as the cylstat not working.. 😫 🤷‍♀️

Any advice on who to contact?? I'm in Hackney, East London.. 🤞

In the meantime, I feel at this point the best thing to do is to get your valuable help and perhaps pass that information on to whoever I will be able to get in, in the hope it will help him actually solve this saga of an issue..

On that note, would you mind sharing where is that boiler link you mentioned, and what's it called officially?

Many thanks!

It would likely be in RT terminal and jumping from the line conductor where the power connects to the boiler (X1 on the PCB). The manual for your boiler isn't particularly clear.

Last edited:
Hi diditrain

At the moment, when on, the heating LED is blinking and the pump is constantly on (I make sure to switch off the boiler after I don't need it).

I'd love to get someone competent in to solve this all asap, but as mentioned above, I've recently had some costly and unsuccessful experience with plumbers.. and I don't quote know who to turn to for this anymore.. Even the highest rated plumber on checkatrade, who came at a price, didn't pick up something as basic as the cylstat not working.. 😫 🤷‍♀️

In the meantime, I feel at this point the best thing to do is to get your valuable help and perhaps pass that information on to whoever I will be able to get in, in the hope it will help him actually solve this saga of an issue..

On that note, would you mind sharing where is that boiler link you mentioned, and what's it called officially?

Many thanks!
You want a competent Electrician to check the electrical side of things

Hi diditrain

Many thanks!
Do you have any photos of how it is connected inside the boiler?

It would likely be in RT terminal and jumping from the line conductor where the power connects to the boiler (X1 on the PCB). The manual for your boiler isn't particularly clear.

Sorry, but I'm having trouble finding X1 🤔

Also, please see actual connection photo in my previous post above - from my layman point of view the connection to the RT seems incomplete..? 😳

See below PCB taken from the manual
Screenshot 2022-08-05 152937_Original.jpg

ALSO see below diagram as shown in manual for System Boiler - there is a bridge b/w 3 and 4... which mine doesn't currently have.. 🤔

Screenshot 2022-08-05 154139.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a photo of the label? The manual looks different to the photos. Has the system ever worked? There's a lot of flux on the PCB I assume it has been repaired.

Do you have a photo of the label? The manual looks different to the photos. Has the system ever worked? There's a lot of flux on the PCB I assume it has been repaired.
sure - do you mean the boiler label (below)?

I WAS TOLD THIS PCB IS NEW!! I paid £250 for it... did the guy rip me off bringing me a used one??

Img_2022_08_05_15_50_43.jpg

Reply to Heating Wiring Problem - cylinder thermostat not working in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net