Discuss Help! IR test results driving me mad in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bongo3000

Hi all

I went round to a house with a view to move a switchline in lounge from 1 side of a door to the other. I tested insulation resistance and got 0.38Mohms L-E. Ok, just a case of identifying which of the cables is causing the problem, sort it out and move the switchline. The circuit is a combination of 3 plate and junction box for the light to the dining room. After checking and testing all the exposed accessories - switches and roses without any joy I lifted some boards upstairs and moved onto the junction boxes (there are 2). I though I'd found it when I found a nail in the wall just above the switch in the dining room. Unfortunately it was a red herring, the nail didn't go in deep enough to touch the cable so back to the drawing board.

Here's the bit that's got me - tested at the junction box and got low IR. removed all the conductors and tested all individually (L-E, N-E, L-N) all came out at >99Mohms except one cable for the loop which was giving 10Mohms. Tested again at the CU to make sure all the other conductors were tested, again >99Mohms. I put all the conductors back into NEW junction box and again got 0.38Mohms.

I'm now turning myself inside out and would welcome any suggestions. Apologies for the rambling.
As an aside 1 of the cables in the loop has green goo which I know is going need me to let the customer know that parts of the circuit will need replacing anyway.

Thanks,
Jason.

might be that green goo that's causing the low reading. it may have a degree of conductivity.

The cable giving 10 ohms, wasn't the cable feeding the rest of the house with all lamps, dimmer switches still attached?

Id be more inclined to go with Tel and the green goo.

the cable giving 10ohms was the loop between the JB and the lounge at the front of the house. I'd ruled it out as being the problem.

might be that green goo that's causing the low reading. it may have a degree of conductivity.

So if I clean the goo up from both ends and reconnect, am I right in thinking that the goo does not breakdown the insulation of the individual conductors or does it affect the IR within the cable as well?

Thanks, JAson.

clean goo and try it. that's all you can do short of replacing affected cable/s.

Reply to Help! IR test results driving me mad in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net