• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Help !!! Main switch tripping in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sparky1966

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if I am being stupid with this ( its late and i'm very tired)

Still learning and have had a call from a customer that their main switch (not mcbs) keeps tripping everytime they plug in a hoover, heavy duty drill, microwave, kettle into the socket circuit (all the house sockets are on the same ring circuit - 32a type b 2.5mm cable). The socket circuit works with all other items plugged in ( tv, fridge etc)

It also trips when they turn on the shower which is on its own circuit (45a type b) 10mm cable.

I am presuming this is an overload problem?? without seeing it yet thats all the info i have.

Can anyone help me with this? Has anyone come across this before? Could it be something else?

I hope you can help

Sintra

The Innkeeper
Staff member
Admin
I would say that the main switch that they are reffering to is an RCD protecting multiple circuits. If so then i could be a number of things. The RCD would need to be tested first off to make sure it is working correctly.

S

sparky1966

Thank you, if the RCD is working correctly what would you then suggest?

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
a thorough test for leakage either on appliances or on the circuits. always difficult when you have an RCD/main switch for the whole installation. process of elimination . could be a combination of leakages taking the RCD above it's tripping threshold.

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
My money is on the fact its a RCD and there's a N-E fault!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.