Discuss Help with megger 1552 doing ring final circuit test... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

oboe

Hi chaps, fairly new to the testing side of things so i've been with one of my mates who has been testing for while now. he was taking me through his nic book for testing and was showing me how to do a ring final circuit test but when we got to i think it was step 3 where you link the phase and neutrals as in step 2 but you put your test meter with the socket adaptor on into the sockets and take the reading from there? but for some reason my 1552 wouldn't give me a reading but my mates fluke would as he just swapped his lead over on the test meter itself? he doesn't think my 1552 can take these reading?? is that right as i'm fairly new to the 1552! hope this makes sense??? :confused:

Ian

Hi Jase i've got the 3 test leads (red,black & green) but wouldn't the lead that goes into the adaptor need to have the same/similar ends? to the ones that go into the megger??

Ian

I have a 1552 and i can take r1 +rn readings with the standard lead with a plug on in that came with it have you checked the fuse in the plug? i also have a socket and see wich i plug my leads into well worth having one if not get some leads and wire a plug on to the ends hope this helps alan

Hi Welsh Spark, as far as I can remember(its been a whole 24hrs!) my meter was showing 99.9m ohms when I pluged it in? and when my mate put his fluke in(fter swapping over his leads over) it showed 0.44ohms??

Is there a specific setting or just resistance??

Thx Ian

Hello

A socket interface adapter lead is available a an accessory from Megger

The lead has three 4mm plugs at one end and the other end of the lead is terminated with a 13 amp plug.
This will enable both phase /earth or phase/neutral tests to be conducted during the cross connected ring main dead tests. Simply connect the appropriate plugs to the MFT, select continuity and then ensure the correct pins on the 13 amp plug are shorted together to enable nulling of the lead.
Insert in each ring socket and take your readings.

Regards

Megger Technical Support Group

Oboe. Sorry if this is a bit patronising but ...... I've had that no reading a few times before and all it was was ..... well i hadn't moved the probes in the socket adaptor from r1/r2, to r1/rn. Doh!

Hi chaps, fairly new to the testing side of things so i've been with one of my mates who has been testing for while now. he was taking me through his nic book for testing and was showing me how to do a ring final circuit test but when we got to i think it was step 3 where you link the phase and neutrals as in step 2 but you put your test meter with the socket adaptor on into the sockets and take the reading from there? but for some reason my 1552 wouldn't give me a reading but my mates fluke would as he just swapped his lead over on the test meter itself? he doesn't think my 1552 can take these reading?? is that right as i'm fairly new to the 1552! hope this makes sense??? :confused:

Ian

Hi
i use this megger all the time and you cant do it with the socket adaptor that is only for Zs readings and rcd testing you need a socket and see adaptor or similar then just put your phase and neutral leads in to that or open the socket up and i`m sure that will sort it for you
happy testing

Lips. Yes, that's the one i use. It's great with the original Megger probes, but my new Kewtech fused leads don't fit it. But yes i do realise dead tests don't need the fused leads, but it's a bit of a pain anyway ....

Hi Oboe

Firstly step 3 in the ring circuit test is to cross connect the Line and CPC cables not Line and Neutral as you have quoted. I think you may have cross connected Line and neutral and are testing between Line and CPC at the sockets Hence the reason NO readings.

Get a copy of the On Site Guide and look at pages 80-83 The 3 step procedure is detailed with pix

Remember the test is a 2 wire test for continuity so read you're 1552 instruction book for continuity test The leads into the meter are not changed it is the probes that are changed over at each stage

Step one end to end resistances Probe 1 (P1) goes to Line out Probe 2 (P2) goes to line return
Then P1 to neutral out and P2 to Neutral return then P1 to CPC out and P2 to CPC return Record readings

Step 2 Cross connect Line out to neutral return and line return to neutral out
Test between Line and neutral at each socket P1 to line P2 to Neutral Record readings

Step 3 Cross connect Line out to CPC return and Line return to CPC out
Test between Line and CPC at each socket P1 to Line and P2 to CPC operating the switches and testing proves polarity also - Record results

Highest reading at Step 3 is the R1+R2 reading for the test cert

Good Luck and keep practicing Remember OSG page 80

Last edited by a moderator:
hello mate, tell me to b%$£*&^s if im telling you to suck eggs, you can use the plug in for radials but ring finals you need the disconnect the live, neutral, earth from either the socket or the board to do your end to end tests & r1+r2 readings to complete the nic sheets. by the time you have disconnected the phase & neutral linked them out then tested you still have to devide the result, because you have two live & two neutral the csa is double the result will be half what it should be you could have stripped the wires out the socket tested & put back together. i usually take the readings from the socket do l, n, e end to ends then cross over l & e so earth from so live from one wire is connected to earth on the other wire & vise versa take the reading & you should get the following or round about - live plus earth devided by 4.

Reply to Help with megger 1552 doing ring final circuit test... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net