Discuss Help with PulsaCoil A Class in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

joames20

DIY
Reaction score
Hi I have just moved into a flat with a PulsaCoil A class system and do not have a clue what the switches on the wall are for?
There are 2, 1 that says 24 hour immersion and has a red light on it and the other says nothing on it but is fused? Do both of these need to be on all the time as I have had them on and not had any heating on for the past month and have received a huge electric bill and its only me in the flat.
Thanks in advance.

Hi
Do you have a bit of an understanding of the PulsaCoil system?

It's designed to use off-peak electricity (when available), which is really now the only option for a heat store cylinder.

Can you confirm your flat is on dual tariff Electricity? Your bill should show you how much the daytime electricity is costing, and seperately how much the off-peak (night) electricity is costing.
I would expect the off-peak to be the bigger part of the bill, unless you are in the flat all day using lots of power!

If you are not on a dual tariff rate, that's the problem (or the start of the problem)

If you are on dual tariff, but the major part of the bill is on peak rate, something is wrong, eg time clock, switches, or something!

Hi
Do you have a bit of an understanding of the PulsaCoil system?

It's designed to use off-peak electricity (when available), which is really now the only option for a heat store cylinder.

Can you confirm your flat is on dual tariff Electricity? Your bill should show you how much the daytime electricity is costing, and seperately how much the off-peak (night) electricity is costing.
I would expect the off-peak to be the bigger part of the bill, unless you are in the flat all day using lots of power!

If you are not on a dual tariff rate, that's the problem (or the start of the problem)

If you are on dual tariff, but the major part of the bill is on peak rate, something is wrong, eg time clock, switches, or something!
Hi
No understanding of the system and yes i have a dual electric tariff and yes the bigger part of the bill is indeed the off peak rate.
My question is regarding the switches to which i also have no clue about - do both need to be on all the time, meaning the 24 hour emersion switch which has a red light on and the other one is just a fused switch?
Thanks

Apologies - just wanted to make sure I understood the supplies!
There's a manual that might help: https://www.gledhill-spares.net/documents/PulsaCoilAClass-Iss9.pdf

The 24 hr supply does need to be on all the time (it's not just a switch for the upper immersion - or at least according to the instructions - see below). The Pulsa Coil needs permanent power to run the electronics. The upper immersion is connected via a contactor within the PulsaCoil, and is supposed to only come on when you press the BOOST button on the PulsaCoil control panel.
The other switch (FCU) should be for the off-peak supply, and also needs to be left on.

You could try doing some sums to see if the number of kilowatt hours you are being billed, sort of equates to running a 3kW immersion (ie 3 units per hour) for I guess a few hours a day, plus add in whatever is used for cooking etc, plus daily standing charge etc.) Unless you have a smart meter, in which case the display will tell you, and you can experiment with turning things off to see what helps!
2FF45CC7-08D4-4C89-9CED-7C13246B42C4.jpeg

Thanks for your reply, the switches have been left on for the month so I will leave them. I just thought my bill was super high for not even having heating on but I suppose the increase is down to our current crises 🤦🏻‍♀️
Thanks for your help.

Reply to Help with PulsaCoil A Class in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net