Discuss Help With Wiring Two PIR Lights. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

acvc

-
Reaction score
I recently installed two outside lights, both the same, each having a built-in (non-adjustable) PIR. They are on the wall of a 'garden house' wooden building. They are on the same end wall, about 3m apart.

When the sensors detect heat/movement at night, both of the fittings flash on and off continually.

When the customer told me about it I had a 'doh' moment and realised that it must be because one light is interfering with the other light's sensor, and vice versa: the sensor detects light and switches its associated light off again thinking 'its daytime. i shouldn't be operating'.

But ..... I asked to customer to cover up one of the sensors and then to trigger the other sensor, thinking that would 'prove' the idea of them interfering with each other..... but the same pattern of flashing on and off still happens. So now I'm not too sure.

Any ideas? I'm going back there in the morning.

The wiring is: fed switch running to the L+N into the connector block in the first fitting, and the second light is looped on from that connector block L to L and N to N, the intention being that the second fitting will be independent from the first. Am I being really dumb here?

I realise that i might in the end only be able to take the L loop on to the second light from the sensor return in the first light, and disable the sensor in the second light fitting, meaning that the second light is also operated from the first sensor.

Any help gratefully received:blush2:.

i would suspect fauly sensor/s . some of the cheap units ( as in b&q £8.99 ) are diabolical.

I suspect cheap fittings too, i had it with a customer supplied light she got from a mail order catalog, are you sure there are no adjustments on them anywhere?

Thank you guys.

I hadn't thought about doing any research on these lights online, but after you suggesting they are faulty, I went to the B&Q site and looked at the reviews for them. And LO and Behold!!! They are slated - many returns due to faulty sensors, including the flashing on and off issue!

For your information they are made by Ellis, and called Ellis Up and Down Lights. They are stainless steel wall washers, GU10 pointing up and down, with a sensor on the bottom which is definitely non-adjustable, cost £29.99 each.

They do actually look great when they are on, but AVOID if you can.

Many thanks again.

Reply to Help With Wiring Two PIR Lights. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net