Discuss Help with writing a CV in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bullet points for previous work experience as well instead of long paragraphs about each.

Agreed ................. and try not to make it more than 2 pages long. You can cheat by using both sides of the page, so it's 2 pages of info on just one sheet.

My full CV runs to almost 8 pages, but I never sent it like that. Instead, I pulled-out the bits that were relevant to the job I was applying for at the time and used them in the CV.

I always thought a Sans Serif font (Tahoma usually) sized at 10 points looked better than a Serif font such as Times New Roman which I think tends to make the thing look more like a legal document or a "pay-up-or-else" letter from a debt collector.

Try to deliver your CV by hand if possible, and follow up with a phone call a few days later.

Take notice of what Stef has said in post #4 too. ;)

Sans Serif font (Tahoma usually) sized at 10 points

Good God man, NO! Regular Times Roman or Ariel!

And as for length, in this case it does matter, 2 sides of A4 MAX.

O aye, don't left and right justify whatever it's called, left side only.

try this?
i,m an electrishin innit?
ive deone fousands of fings aint i?
i is even chande the dareeys in me head part from tokin grasss i wuld be gud to imploi anc can get up from bed aboyt 12
i want 40 sqid a hour

A few years back I went to the jobcentre for CV advice and they referred me to some associated help centre who help with CVs.
It was free for starters. Went down there for 2 or 3 days, CV TOTALLY rewritten, got a new job soon after!

So, get down your local JC!

Good luck!:)

I tried that. Under no circumstance would I send it out until I’d rewritten it and corrected it. They were useless!

In later years I had a fair number of CV’s across my desk. Short and succinct wins every time. Two pages maximum. The first thing I’d look at is your Key Skills.
References can be a nightmare, be sure your referees will back you up. I rarely followed up references. One caught my eye and I made the phone call, “Who? Never heard of him!” the supposed referee was an old colleague.
I couldn’t give a damn if you’ve got two wives and twenty seven kids, that comes under other information.

If needs be you can add a separate sheet outlining any special projects you have undertaken but don’t attach it to your CV. If I was interested in you I would read it later. But again, keep it short.

Whatever you do, never “over egg the cake”, you get caught out and it’s good bye!

BTW I had my heart removed a long time ago and replaced with a block of limestone. (Cheaper than granite!)

I tried that. Under no circumstance would I send it out until I’d rewritten it and corrected it. They were useless!

In later years I had a fair number of CV’s across my desk. Short and succinct wins every time. Two pages maximum. The first thing I’d look at is your Key Skills.
References can be a nightmare, be sure your referees will back you up. I rarely followed up references. One caught my eye and I made the phone call, “Who? Never heard of him!” the supposed referee was an old colleague.
I couldn’t give a damn if you’ve got two wives and twenty seven kids, that comes under other information.

If needs be you can add a separate sheet outlining any special projects you have undertaken but don’t attach it to your CV. If I was interested in you I would read it later. But again, keep it short.

Whatever you do, never “over egg the cake”, you get caught out and it’s good bye!

BTW I had my heart removed a long time ago and replaced with a block of limestone. (Cheaper than granite!)

That's complete B S ....... I know for a fact it's a 24 carat gold ingot. ;)

Reply to Help with writing a CV in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net