• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Hole saw advice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, when using a hole saw for downlights etc., I use the DADE. The problem I have is that the arbour is very short so my drill only just bites down. What does everyone else use with the DADE? I’ve seen videos where the arbour seems quite long and plenty of length for the drill but wondered which ones they are? Thanks

Does that give you a longer arbour?
Well I find the drill bit reaches the surface to be cut easily, then as the hole saw cuts into it, the DADE flexes as it hits the surface.

PS: for those wondering about the DADE, for a while I used an old tupperware with a hole in the middle, being too mean to buy a DADE, but once I'd tried one, so much easier, you can keep both hands on the drill.

take the pilot bit out and fit a longer one. you can get longer (6mm?) HSS bits

I just make sure to give the Arbor a good shove through the Dade collar when tightening the chuck. It doesn't come loose.

If you cut an old space-hopper in half,and then make a hole in the bottom,just big enough for your wrist.....you don't need any of the above :)
so you punch the hole in the ceiling? no need for drill and holesaw? :( :(

Bosch progressor, got a kit on offer in Screwfix last August, wish I'd been using them sooner, far better than any other brand, teeth stay sharp for much longer, even drilling through H Irons.

You can buy a pack of adapters to make any holesaw a progressor, but id not be moving away from the bosch, pay a bit extra, last 2 or 3x as long

My dad used to have a device similar to the DADDDDE

it was moulded hard plastic similar shape (slightly larger) to a DADE but had a spout on the side which you could attach a Hoover to the spout to suck up the dust particles.
only issue was most Hoover hoses were too short so you had to hold the Hoover in one hand and the drill on the other while up the steps

The Dade works best with a chuck with a freely rotating metal ring at front of the chuck.
Used a chuck with fixed plastic ring and some binding with the Dade occurred causing the Dade inner ring to overheat and melt!

Attachments

• Hole saw advice Chuck - EletriciansForums.net
    Chuck.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

Reply to Hole saw advice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back