Discuss homes under the hammer in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
On friday they bought a house for £35k spent £10k on everything but electrics ,only an electrician would spot only 1 double socket in the lounge with a heater plugged into 1 socket. and all the other sockets in the house, which wasn't many at shoulder height. Why do a place up to sell if the person who buys it , needs to put chases in every wall and rewire or go down the extension leads every where option. very clever. rant over some of them do what they are doing

I use to do allot of work for a property developer mainly rewires at the start he would have sockets everywhere 2 way lights the lot and as time went on they got fewer and fewer all to save money. 1 socket in each room no 2 way lights in the hall he even tried to get away with not putting smokes in one property which back fired I had to retrofit them after the place was decorated and carpeted.

The final straw was when he gave me the drawings for the new kitchen we installed the cooker and sockets to suit then when I came back to 2nd fix only to find the kitchen a completely different layout because be got a cheap 2nd hand kitchen out of the paper

He didn't want the plaster knocking out so had to mini trunk the sockets to the right places plus the cooker switch was over the cooker but he insisted it wasn't to be moved to which I said it wouldn't comply due to it being over the cooker. He called me back a couple of days later saying that he needed it moving cos the guy wouldn't give him a electrical/gas cert

That was the final straw even though I was charging him for the extra work I hated always running around after his mistakes so I said fairwell to him

On friday they bought a house for £35k spent £10k on everything but electrics ,only an electrician would spot only 1 double socket in the lounge with a heater plugged into 1 socket. and all the other sockets in the house, which wasn't many at shoulder height. Why do a place up to sell if the person who buys it , needs to put chases in every wall and rewire or go down the extension leads every where option. very clever. rant over some of them do what they are doing

What was the house then valued at? where was it? and did they sell it?

I've noticed this a lot on programs like that. They seldom ever mention the electrics at all. Seen some awful stuff like trunking on ceilings etc. that magically disappears yet there's no mention of a spark having been in.

as they're on a budget, they've probably used eastern europeans @£5/hour.

My favourite was a shower with the earth wire appearing out of the plaster, when they removed the shower turns out the wire was about 4" just plastered in and not connected! suppose it saves the cost of all that cable back to the CU? as you don't actually need it to make the shower work :D

I done a thread about one i saw on homes under the hammer. A plug socket that had a bit of flex and a plug coming out of it, plug on the end of the flex, then plugged that into an extention cord to power the socket.... look in my profile, im sure you will find the post to see the picture.

Reply to homes under the hammer in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net