Discuss Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz Heater Help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

EmmaDx

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

Apologies if this type of question has been asked before. I have no gas in my house so rely on a water heater to heat the water tank. The water heater is a Horstmann Economy 7 quartz model. I have found the pdf manual online that vaguely describes how to change the timings the heater is on for.

My main question is, what do the two different coloured dials mean? I feel the heater is using up too much electricity and is probably on for much longer than we require - we have an electric shower so only really use hot water from the tap to wash hands or dishes. The orange dial is on for a 4 hour duration and the blue dial for 4 hours too - does this mean the water is being heated for 8 hours? Can the duration be reduced, say to 2 hours each?

I have attached a picture of how the heater is currently set. Any advice would be greatly appreciated - our electricity bills are extremely high as it is as our house does not have access to gas unfortunately!

Attachments

• E82A5080-980F-430D-8234-74B131B15652.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 10
If you didn't already find it, there is a similar thread from last year:

You can also find the installion leaflet online, which tells you how to adjust the blue & orange cams to match your local off-peak times. Normally this is done at installation, and shouldn't need changing.

If you have both an off-peak and a boost 24hr element, the installation instructions also tell you how they reccomend you set the two thermostats (top boost element set 5 to 10 degrees C lower than the off-peak one).

Reply to Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz Heater Help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net