Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Hot Tub Colours in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

asqs342

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all,

I have just got given a hot tub which i am installing. A friend of mine has put in all of the SWA to the area into a termination box and ran this all the way to a new 32 amp breaker within the CU. This all happened prior to the hot tub getting delivered and while i was sorting out the base for it. I am more than happy with terminating the swa from the hot tub and glanding etc but when i have stripped it all back the colour scheme is not what i was expecting. 3 Cables as follows:

Grey
Black
Brown

The question is: How do these relate to the standard line, neutral and CPC???

Really confused and any help would be appreciated. My sparks friend is on his hols hence i am not asking him.

Thanks

Carl

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
A

asqs342

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think i have just answered my own question. Just clicked that it is 3 core. It is a Sunday!!!!! If anyone could confirm it would be much appreciated.

K

Knobhead

Use brown as live. Over sleeve black and grey as blue and green/yellow.

- - - Updated - - -

Lay off the beer!

A

asqs342

Many Thanks Tony. Have a good day

L

londonlec

Not sure whether giving advice out like that was too clever.

A

asqs342

Londonlec. I thought this forum was for advice. I am more than capable, just needed clarification.

K

Knobhead

London, Would you care to shed some light on that satement.

JD6400

-
Mentor
Arms
I know this is obvious , but i take it you are making the terminations back at the board as well and your not just assuming the sparks that is on holiday has made them off this way ?
I know this is a daft question but as they say , theres nowt so daft as folk sometimes !:goofy:

snowhead

-
Mentor
Any electrician should know B,B,G.

What colours was the O.P expecting; Red, Yellow, Blue, or Brown, Blue, Green/Yellow?

M

Mark_Burgess

I do hope you are not relying on the MCB as the only device to isolate it, you should have an isolation switch accessible outside.
One other thing, if you are more than capable, you really should know what the harmonisation colours are!

ruston

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I do hope you are not relying on the MCB as the only device to isolate it, you should have an isolation switch accessible outside.
One other thing, if you are more than capable, you really should know what the harmonisation colours are!

I know what they are , just sometimes I cant tell them apart lol.:innocent:

R

Richard

I think i have just answered my own question. Just clicked that it is 3 core. It is a Sunday!!!!! If anyone could confirm it would be much appreciated.
Has it been connected within the DB? If so it very much depends on what way your electrician has connected them in there. How is the circuit protected? Also, I thnk someone has already pointed out that you want an isolator local to the hot tub.Personally, I really think you should leave this to the electrician to sort!! Good luck either way.

A

asqs342

Many Thanks for all of your input. Yes it is connected at the DB on the RCD side. He has just turned it off. There is an DP Isolation switch outside where the SWA from the tub goes in to allow external iso. He is going to come and commission it on Wed on his return. He is NAPIT. Many Thanks again and BTW job done and all working well.
I did a Part P course some time ago so i conscious of the rules and dangers involved.

JD6400

-
Mentor
Arms
Many Thanks for all of your input. Yes it is connected at the DB on the RCD side. He has just turned it off. There is an DP Isolation switch outside where the SWA from the tub goes in to allow external iso. He is going to come and commission it on Wed on his return. He is NAPIT. Many Thanks again and BTW job done and all working well.
I did a Part P course some time ago so i conscious of the rules and dangers involved.
Not trying to be a smart arse with this observation but it did make me laugh ,

" he is going to commission it on Wed ", but then you say "job done and all working well " !

Sorry, but how do you know it is working well? Surely, you would not try energising it before all testing has been completed?
This is not a piece of kit one should simply switch on and say "looks good to me".

Honestly not trying to be condescending, but you really should have waited for your electrician to connect this if he is the one testing and signing it off.

A

asqs342

Once again thanks for your advice. I can assure you that this is not going to be used until it is tested. When i said job done and all working well - i forgot to explain fully that my wife and children weren't literally in there enjoying themselves and sipping champagne but the power is there.

I am now removing myself from this site as when you ask for advice you just get sarcastic and smart arse responses which really isn't in the spirit of forums. Those who have helped - thank you, those who haven't, well nothing else more to say.

Good day to you all

snowhead

-
Mentor
you just get sarcastic and smart arse responses which really isn't in the spirit of forums.

You're giving the impression you're unqualified, your messing with electricity (and total immersion) and you expect full instructions on how to kill your family?

JD6400

-
Mentor
Arms
Yet another chancer ! See you latter's that is if we don't read about you in another tragic accident in the nationals first !

Sorry to the mods if you don't like my comment , but at the same time this meant to be a forum for ELECTRICIANS !

EDIT ; Just had a quick look at some of his past post's , this joker will end up doing someone before he is through " my electrician is on holiday " what in fairy land !!!!!!

Something needs to be done about people on this site lying to get advice !

Be honest in the first place and then we would know to start from the basics and not jump in with advice that could be fatal if taken by someone of the wrong skill level / base . :disappointed:

Last edited:
R

Rauer

Why do people always assume grey is neutral? And not earth?

We don't know what colours have been used at the DB end.
That is a fair statement. We know that the protocol now is to oversleeve grey with blue and black with green/yellow, but that is not always adhered to (or strictly necessary), so we can't really advise anyone of colours to use at one end without knowing the other.

keniff

-
Arms
That is a fair statement. We know that the protocol now is to oversleeve grey with blue and black with green/yellow, but that is not always adhered to (or strictly necessary), so we can't really advise anyone of colours to use at one end without knowing the other.
I agree I still see people use the black for neutral I suppose as long as he did actually check polarity, and the water is not bubbling away at 230v lol

Reply to Hot Tub Colours in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

Select the ways in which you gain online business

• MyBuilder.com

• Federation of Master Builders

• CheckaTrade.com

• RatedPeople.com

• TrustaTrader.com

• Which? (TrustedTraders.Which.co.uk)

• MyJobQuote.co.uk

• Yell.com

• Google Paid Advertising

• Own Website with Natural Ranking (SEO'd website)

• Social Media (Facebook Twitter Instagram etc)

• Word of Mouth Only for me

Results are only viewable after voting.

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom