Discuss Hotel / Guest House EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

Wondering if anyone can clarify / advise on the following situation.

Have a friend who is in the process of buying a new hotel / guest house (10x bedrooms) they have asked us if this falls under the new regulations with regards to EICRs being carried out.

The bigger picture is ... the current owner has no electrical certification at all & obviously before buying our friend wants to know the condition of the electrics. Firstly, does hotel / guest houses fall under the new regulations for EICR requirement (cannot see it listed on .gov website)? Secondly, is it legal to request one before buying the property?

Basically, who's responsibility is it to make sure a EICR is in place? Current owner under new regs or don't it apply? Or has our friend got to pay out to have one carried out before buying?

Thank you!

Hotel / Guest house doesn't fall under the new legislation, neither do HMO's as they have thier own legislation.

Your friend would need to arrange and pay for a EICR, just as they would a structural survey etc.
It would need the agreement of the current owner, just as any survey or valuation would.

If the current owner already had one, it wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on as the buyer wouldn't know the instructions were given for it.

Thanks for that link Mike.

Only it still doesn't state whether it's a legal requirement to have a EICR (Although ideal for the property owner) ... therefore, I assume it's not a legal requirement & doesn't fall under the new regulations?

Hotel / Guest house doesn't fall under the new legislation, neither do HMO's as they have thier own legislation.

Your friend would need to arrange and pay for a EICR, just as they would a structural survey etc.
It would need the agreement of the current owner, just as any survey or valuation would.

If the current owner already had one, it wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on as the buyer wouldn't know the instructions were given for it.

Thanks for clearing up. I agree... the current owner would more than likely pay a small charge for a peice of paper with 'LIM' written all over it like a lot we have come across!

That's the other issue .. current owner is not very compliant not sure they would even allow a EICR to be carried out before purchasing.

In my opinion all hotels should require a EICR!!!

If I was buying a property whether guest house or not and the seller wouldn't allow an EICR, I'd be off looking elsewhere.
What else are they hiding?

In my opinion all hotels should require a EICR!!!
If the the EICR was of the same "quality" as some of the Landlord ones posted on here,, then they wouldn't be worth the paper their written on.

Unless the buyer is paying cash for this Guesthouse , then I'm sure the lender will require sight of a current EICR.

Last edited:
neither do HMO's
Screenshot_20210417-175557_Edge.jpg

A Hotel by definition is not a HMO its a business premises providing temporary accommodation the people staying are not renting, they are buying a service.

Personally anywhere with general public involved should be a legal requirement to have a EICR!

I Also think the 'competant person' should be approved with a legal body to carry one out.

As you mentioned half the time EICRs are not worth the paper they are written on.

We're back to the same argument of EICRs again haha! It's took them long enough to pass the latest regs in parliament ... can't see them changing it again anytime soon!

The new legislation does not apply to hotels it is a commercial premises and hence the Electricity & Work Regulations 1989 come into play. You have a legal obligation to abide by this and although an EICR is not a legal requirement having one undertaken will hopefully indicate any non-compliance with these Regulations and it is highly likely any insurance cover will require an EICR.

Reply to Hotel / Guest House EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net