Discuss How do i get into the electrical industry? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dan604

Sounds like a simple question I know, however I'm currently doing my c&g2330 and going onto level 3 this coming academic year.
I have been phoning sending cv's etc with plenty of firms saying "we would like to get you in but the climate is a little turbulent to take on someone else right now"
Ok so the economy has a massive effect on it, my worry is that I'm 23 with limited experience and longer I leave obtaining the experience... The less likely I'm going to be able to earn small amounts of cash whilst I gain experience.

As said I'm 23 years old working for the manufacturer of the worlds leading oilfield simulation products.

I want to get experience, also is it actually worth going for the nvq? I'm on the understanding its required for jib recognition... However I don't know if being recognised by the jib is worth anything?
Any help is musch appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I'd say the NVQ is definitely worth having, then you can get a JIB card which doesn't have 'TRAINEE' on it.
Getting on the cards with a company would be ideal, but as most people here will tell you is easier said than done.
Have you tried your local agencies? They don't seem to be too fussy about who they give work to (no offence), which can be a good way to gain experience.

Am in the same sort of bout Dan desperate for moreexperience (although I was fortunate enough to get a couple of months earlierthis year) I am handy on the tools and was left on jobs to get on and stuff. WhatI need is more of the looking at the job pricing, working out best ways to dothings and tying it in with the regs and so on. I would give my arm and leg tofind someone to give me the chance to do my NVQ! you just have to keep at itmate, it hopefully will pay off eventually for the ones who are serious aboutgetting are selves in the trade. My heads never out of the books learning all I can take in but their is no subdstitute for experience!

Cheers for the quick.replies! I'm dealing with low voltage and standard 230v alongside 3phase ups's (fitted not just in the UK) however this doesn't help with UK regs etc, i have been down.agencies but.nothing for trade work... Mostly factories dog bodies and office work etc.... I guess keep looking but you have def cleared up the nvq part for me..... My plan as soon as I get on the cards with q company.. bash out the nvq in record time as to focus on working to gain as much skill as possible! If anyone is wondering I'm on the south coast in the Dorset area.

Thanks again for quick replies so far!

Have you tried MPloy? They deal with Regal in Wareham who build caravans. I worked there for a while; it's a bit mundane but it's electrical experience all the same. They deal with Sunseeker as well, who I'm working for at the moment. Again it's not buildings, but it's electrical work, and you might be able to cover some of your NVQ.
Otherwise I think the Hays office which deals with construction is based in Southampton, although the Poole office will be able to give you their number.

I did the same thing when I was at college - got hold of a list of local NICEIC contractors off their website and started calling them. I got a few replies but no work, and that was before the recession. If you can't get a job on the cards straight away, I find agency work is a good way to network.

In the current state of unemployment and short term contracts the cynic might say... Enter via the revolving door! :32:

Last edited by a moderator:
My plan as soon as I get on the cards with q company.. bash out the nvq in record time as to focus on working to gain as much skill as possible!
My plan as soon as I get on the cards with q company.. bash out the nvq in record time as to focus on working to gain as much skill as possible!

That, ....sort of defeats the object, surely!!! ...Working on your own, is no substitute to gaining experience under the supervision of a qualified electrician, so the longer your under that supervision the better.

That is one of the major problems with the fast track so-called qualified installers, thinking they can gain experience by themselves.... Without a care in the world for the unsuspecting customer/client. So take your time and get as much experience as you can, but quality experience rather than making it up as you go along!!!

Apologies there, I didn't mean get the nvq part done quick and start up myself, I mean cost wise I think the nvq is £400 a year (at last check) which is nothing in the big picture... But its something. If I could - get out of the way and ticked off the list, I want to work within a firm for a good amount of time... Few years before even thinking of starting on my own.... If I even wanted too! Im abroad with work at moment but as soon as I'm back.... Think I may give hays a bell! as for the mPloy .... Not heard of the. So def worth giving w call! Shows what a little networking can do! Thanks for all your help guys!

Reply to How do i get into the electrical industry? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net