Discuss how long can a spur cable be in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Its a tumble dryer, unless I've missed something it won't be 4.5Kw, even if it was, its still not 20 amps, why do you think spurs are legal Telectrix, you're over complicating it, no need to extend the ring

so you'd be happy pulling 4.5 kW off a double socket, rated at 20A?
There is no reason why not, two laundry appliances are often plugged into a double socket and neither appliance will pull full load constantly even when running together. 4.5kw equates to 19.6a @ 230v, in practice it's likely to be 18.75a @ 240v. I would not claim a spur would be the best way to do it, but neither is it wrong, especially as the OP has stated the intention is only to run one appliance.

Its a tumble dryer, unless I've missed something it won't be 4.5Kw, even if it was, its still not 20 amps, why do you think spurs are legal Telectrix, you're over complicating it, no need to extend the ring
mupost was in reply to fairlight's post re tumble dryer and washing machine both on a twin outlet. each will have a 2.2kW heater. add a bit for the restof the machines'bits.... 4.5kW.
i don't disputethatfor 1 appliance aspur complies, but that the cost and effort to extend ring is minimal.
[automerge]1570605483[/automerge]
this had a washer and tumble dryer connected.
1570605480678.png

Last edited:
i don't disputethatfor 1 appliance aspur complies, but that the cost and effort to extend ring is minimal.
It complies for two appliances plugged into a double socket on a spur. A preference for a ring is a perfectly legitimate point of view. But to suggest that a spur supplying a twin socket does not comply is plain wrong. And regardless of a ring or spur, the load on the socket will be the same.

I'm not arguing that it complies or not. just that for what's involved, extending the rfc would be my preference. with a spur, if OP were to want another outlet adding at some time, he'd have to retro fit a FCU.

The pic you have posted above of the burnt out socket shows both line pins overheated, this is probably due to a poor quality socket or plug top, and with those two appliances plugged into that twin socket it would make not a scrap of difference whether it was on a ring or a spur.

I'm not arguing that it complies or not. just that for what's involved, extending the rfc would be my preference. with a spur, if OP were to want another outlet adding at some time, he'd have to retro fit a FCU.
I'm with you on this one Tele... I'll always try to extend a ring rather than spur.

Reply to how long can a spur cable be in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net