Search the forum,

Discuss How many eicr in a day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My uncalibrated MFT (calibration is a waste of money) packed up the other week but I don’t charge my customers enough to cover replacing tools and equipment. It’s fine though, I just short line to earth with a paper clip and wear free covid-19 gloves from the BP garage so I don’t belt myself. It’s great, everything has tripped so far.

I am not an engineer (I wish!) and I know there are far better sparks than me on here, just for the record @Brian Taylor. Apologies are not necessary as you have done nothing to offend. All I am really saying is the point about BC notification. I can't put it any more simpler than that please don't over read this. You cannot do work in domestic without notification. If you do you will be breaking the law unless it is always non notifiable work. I think most sparks on here know this. Just a word to the (hopefully!) wise really. You did ask!
I only know personally of one person being taken to court under the Part P regs and he notified his jobs, for notification the only people you are really notifying is HMRC he got nailed for tax evasion as they said his declared income didn't match the number and type of jobs he had notified

Then your understanding is wrong. If it was a straight rewrite of the last one it wouldn't have been done.

Things that have changed include the new requirements for surge protection, additional requirements for RCD protection in domestic installations, requirements for AFDDs, changes to EV charging, changes to max Zs for RCD protected circuits.

You cannot be carrying out EICRs without a good knowledge of the current wiring regulations, especially not for rental houses where the new law requires them to have an EICR to the 18th edition.
This gets more confusing the more I hear....looking back i note that SPDs are a matter of opinion. Not a hard and fast rule !!
[automerge]1596133774[/automerge]
My uncalibrated MFT (calibration is a waste of money) packed up the other week but I don’t charge my customers enough to cover replacing tools and equipment. It’s fine though, I just short line to earth with a paper clip and wear free covid-19 gloves from the BP garage so I don’t belt myself. It’s great, everything has tripped so far.
As far as I'm aware there is no need to have a meter calibrated every year only that any meter is checked against a meter that has been calibrated..is do a set of tests with a meter that has been calibrated..record the values and then do same tests with uncalibrated meter..if results are much the same then all ok
[automerge]1596134186[/automerge]
So, that's another way you can save money and thus undercut genuine electricians. Don't bother buying regs - top tip eh.

If you are for real, then you shouldn't be doing electrical work for people. I suggest you contact people for who you have done notifiable work for and let them know they need to notify their local authority.

I take it you also have no objection to unqualified/unregistered people doing gas installation work for people?
Non whatsoever if they're making a living them good luck to them would do myself if I had any skills in that area but I'll stick to what I know best.

Last edited:
This gets more confusing the more I hear....looking back i note that SPDs are a matter of opinion. Not a hard and fast rule !!

The rules are very clear on SPDs, including the methods of working out whether they are needed or not.
In reality there will be very few installations where they are genuinely not required.

The rules are very clear on SPDs, including the methods of working out whether they are needed or not.
In reality there will be very few installations where they are genuinely not required.

I bet Brian doesn't fit them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How many eicr in a day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net