Discuss How much should a second year apprentice be getting paid? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Earn you mean? I think I got a £100 payrise a month after my first year. So was getting about £700 a month, I was 18 so brought me a few beers. Until you pass your level 3 don't expect anything great

Round 'ere at the moment it's 3.30 if the gaffer's there or 2.20 if you're on your own. That's with your own tools and transport. Yes it's bloody awful but when you're done it will be worth it.

For the record I don't have any apprentices and if I did I'd pay more than that, as I do my saturday lad who is an apprentice elsewhere.

It used to be the case that an apprentice got paid what he was worth. In todays climate it's the pits and I'd count myself lucky to have a job.

I worked with an apprentice who, to be fair was pretty good as far as apprentices go, but after a year or so was moaning about his pay; this is the kid who turned up to work in his 02 reg clio, then when he turned that over got a Golf - not sure how old that was because it had his personalised plate on it, but it looked pretty new.
I told him I would have gladly swapped places with him so I could get my NVQ3 - I was working on average around 4 hours a week for that company.

Apprentices at my place which is a UPS company generally get about £80 p/w in their first year and £150 a week in their second year. There is overtime in addition (usually saturday morning battery changes !!!) and they are at college one day and one evening a week. By the end of the fourth year with all exams passed they start off on about £24k and work their way up the ladder

Well it depends .........did you pick up that long weight from the office??

Did you secure the skirting ladders correctly onto the van?

How many sky hooks did you got from CEF?

Ahhhhh happy days of putty guns, how many brass bushes did it take to really annoy the brickies who was the target,

Avoiding the plumbers with the tallow and horse hair hemp, finally getting caught by the plumbers who showed me the "3 man lift" and then utilised the tallow and hemp.

Being told we need some running nipples 20mm and 25mm ( well then 3/4" and 1") and when I asked how many, was told well there are 10 lengths of each, I'll tell you when.

Pinging lines in an old PABX for galv conduit runs in the battery room, that was concrete. Marking out the saddles and then handed a hammer and rawlplug tool ....off you go son.

Just nip to the wholesalers son pick up a few rolls of cable, and getting on the bus with 10 coils of 4mm^ singles, lashed together in 2 lot's of 5's with some 4mm^ single, lovely inprints on palms for a few days.

How much would I pay them ............ I got 4 pound an hour lol

Reply to How much should a second year apprentice be getting paid? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net