Discuss How much should an independent electrician be paid as a sub-contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm just curious what an independent domestic electrician should be paid daily in the Midlands while being subbed jobs from another domestic company?

I've been offered the odd filler day from another domestic company where ill be given a job with all the materials to completion but I've been asked what I charge per day? Can't for the life of my figure out as I've never really worked on a day rate only per job.

For example I'm expected to replace a 10 way consumer unit with testing, water/gas bonding, and certification in a day.

What should I be charging for that amount of workload?

Nick Bundy a celebrity sparks who works in the Midlands charges around £650-750 for a basic board change.
So assuming he gets the boards and other bits and bods like new tails from the wholesalers for around the £150 mark.
He looks to make £500 ish labour.

So based on that as this is a Midlands based electrician by reckoning he works on around £50-55 per hour labour

So that's a day rate,,

For labour
Providing van including fuel
Providing tools and access equipment
Providing calibrated test equipment
Disposal of waste

Are you notifying or are they?

Also remember while you're subbing you're potentially missing out on your own work, probably at a higher rate.

And bear in mind, like any negotiation you won't get what you ask for, they're just looking for you're maximum figure so they offer lower.

The type of subbing that the OP describes where effectively they will be doing everything other than buying the board I would be looking at £50 per hour labour only / £400 per day.
This would cover my fuel , time and any sundries I use on the job like screws , cable clips etc

Reply to How much should an independent electrician be paid as a sub-contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock