Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss how the car parklights controlled? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
have checked some post lights around a car park for a block of flats, the landlord said some lights do not work at night, so i tried to check the circuit, think first i need to know which lights do not work,but cannot find a switch to turn themon, found a timer in the cupboard, it is set to 'auto', then changed it to on, but the lights are all still off, can see two PIR sensor on a high level, but cannot find connection.

are these post lights controlled by a sensor? or timer?

They sound to me like the configuration is daylight on timer off ,day light sensor on top or close to each fitting with a time clock to switch them off at a set time you will need access to the daylight sensor to check the operation ,could be just a blown lamp daylight sensor or ignitor ,if you cant get to the daylight sensor safely less that 2 meters you will need a working platform or cherry picker

photocell -on , timer-off would be common for shops etc.

'timer off' is prob not appropriate for car park

is it 2 pir or photocell ?

if there is contactor switching of lights that would simplify troubleshooting-may not be

Last edited by a moderator:
Switched timer output in series with the photocell.

You can have the time clock switching on from 16:00 and switch off at 08:00 permantly but depending on time of year the lights won't come on until the photocell detects the ambient light is low enough for the lights to come on.

They sound to me like the configuration is daylight on timer off ,day light sensor on top or close to each fitting with a time clock to switch them off at a set time you will need access to the daylight sensor to check the operation ,could be just a blown lamp daylight sensor or ignitor ,if you cant get to the daylight sensor safely less that 2 meters you will need a working platform or cherry picker

What is 2 metres got to do with it as the is no height limit in working at height regs, working at 6" from floor level can be classified as working at height.

Switched timer output in series with the photocell.

You can have the time clock switching on from 16:00 and switch off at 08:00 permantly but depending on time of year the lights won't come on until the photocell detects the ambient light is low enough for the lights to come on.

the timer would just ensure the lights don't come on in daytime -if it was overcast ya?

Re working at height, it was drummed in that working on a ladder or steps for more than c. 15 mins a platform should be considered. If the fall could be more than 2m a fall arrester should be employed. These are suggestions, but if in our litigious societysomeone got hurt, went to court, was "best"(?) practise followed?

Reply to how the car parklights controlled? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net