Discuss How to swap grid switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

After a bit of diy advice….(I’m in the UK)

I’m trying to replace some grid switches for the washing machine from white to steel ones, and the wiring in the back of the white ones is L2 N2 at the top and L1 N1 at the bottom. Whereas the new ones only have COM at the top of the switch and L2 L1 at the bottom.

Can someone advise how I should wire the new switch?

You have the wrong new grid switch module.

The old module is a double pole switch, switching L & N.
The new one is a light switch, 2-way, and quite possibly not rated to switch a washing machine.

Return the new switch and get the correct grid switch module.

We have all done that I suspect!

I have a grid key-switch typically used for alarm and emergency light testing that is the same issue as you have of being SPDT (single pole, double throw i.e. change-over) and not the DPST (double pole, single throw, i.e. L&N on/off) that I wanted but as mail order I just kept it for when I do need that sort.

Ok... well, being DIY, can i give you some advice?

Grid switches are the invention of the Devil. Never enough space for the wires, even with a deep box.

Be very careful making sure the terminals are tight....and for goodness sake, turn off the power before starting.

Is it just one switch for the washing machine, or is it 2/3/4 gang?

I am now thinking what you are calling a gridswitch, is merely a 20A double pole switch... Can you clarify?

Ok... well, being DIY, can i give you some advice?

Grid switches are the invention of the Devil. Never enough space for the wires, even with a deep box.

Be very careful making sure the terminals are tight....and for goodness sake, turn off the power before starting.

Is it just one switch for the washing machine, or is it 2/3/4 gang?

I am now thinking what you are calling a gridswitch, is merely a 20A double pole switch... Can you clarify?
They are grid switches and you're absolutely right about the space being tight - so much so i've ordered a deeper (47mm) back box. It's a 2 gang with Tumble Dryer.

I think the ones on there currently are LAP and the ones i have are the nexus BG range.

I'm reasonably competent to do basic electrical DIY stuff and would always ask advice if i was unsure hence this post :)

Don't worry - power off as always and tested with a volt pen for live - I typically take a photo of the back before i commence changing things but i always do one pair at a time if there's multiple cables.

I have got another query about a 3 gang light switch with wiring being different but i'll post that in another thread with photos!

Thanks again all

Volt pen?

Not the most reliable of instruments…

Take care!
Very true! I have had a false positive from it with a light fitting, turned out to be the TV aerial wiring in the loft space above causing interference, also got a socket tester for checking the sockets are isolated and to also check wiring is correct for when i've switched the power sockets from plastic to metal (earthing the backbox (if metal) and the metal faceplate). Done 1/2 the house so far and only had an issue with one double faceplate socket which was reporting a live / earth reverse on one socket of the double socket but not the other - turned out the new faceplate was faulty!

Reply to How to swap grid switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net