Discuss HQI Bay lights and Emergency lighting in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

plugsandsparks

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Been pondering something that happened a while back, basically the client had a short power cut, a second or so. In their warehouse the baylights went out as per their normlal 5 to 10 mins hot start problem, but of course the emergency lights were out as power was back on. So there was total darkness, Has anyone experience of this and what solutions were proposed to manage the 5 to 10 mins blackout whilst the HQIs come back on.

thx

There was a thread on here a while ago, where it was suggested to add a timer and contactor/relay to the EM lighting to hold the mains power off to the EM lighting for five or ten mins, to allow the cooling of the main lamps. so you had EM lighting for the duration.

Last edited:
It's a while ago but ISTR that a company produced either hot strike lamps or a fitting that had a slave lamp for situations like this but I can't remember any more details

The only other alternative is maintained emergency lighting

Cant remember the fitting but I have seen hibays with gls lamps inside so that in similar situation there is at least some sort of lighting it was every second row GLS was on all the time place had frequent power cuts For the life I cant remember the make of fitting technicaly they are "Standby" lighting
You could put flourescent lighting in the same circuit and mount as appropriate

Cant remember the fitting but I have seen hibays with gls lamps inside so that in similar situation there is at least some sort of lighting it was every second row GLS was on all the time place had frequent power cuts For the life I cant remember the make of fitting technicaly they are "Standby" lighting
You could put flourescent lighting in the same circuit and mount as appropriate

Thx - Fluorescent is where my head was at in the beginning. The warehouse i am working on at the mo, i have split the ccts and the lighting and have a mix of HQI and fluorescent, so at least it cannot happen in this one.

At one of our stores that we work from used to be a milk processing plant before we started using it and it has hot strike low bays in it .
I will try to remember to bring the cherry picker over from the other yard if i get time and find out the details of the fittings for you next week when i go back down to Bucks

Reply to HQI Bay lights and Emergency lighting in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net