Discuss I have advanced co-operation with DNO Western Power to be precise in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Very funny @Leesparkykent maybe you will never know. But yes I am like that in the real world. I do RAMS and get people working with me to read understand risks and sign them. And I tell them if they depart from any of the requirements they are off site never to return. It is all about liability from my perspective. Coming from a legal background as well I have worked in a trust and structured everthing around tilting liability away and I can assure one and all it works quite well. Bottom line is it worth taking risks after all our occupation has quite enough responsibility already without overburdening it with, let's say not well thought out strategies.
freddie-starr-aag3cp.jpg
nowt pass you then VORT .:D

You could make a full time hobby arguing with big companies getting passed from one department to another and back in circles. Well done for getting so far, but are you sure it will stick or go into a black hole?

Western Power is the worst I have had to deal with, out of the 9 DNO's in the UK 8 are fine and easy to get on with, WPD definitely let the DNO's down. I have had too many conversations with field/office engineers about putting (small) heat pumps on the network,

SSEN on the otherhand are the complete opposite, call them up and ask if a heat pump is fine on the network and how do I submit an application - The operator responds with what size fuse have you got there, if you have done your calcs we are fine you wont overload our network. No harmonic questions, what does it conform too, starting current questions.... Nothing. Ask if I can have it all in writing to confirm for our records, his response "yeah sure bud, whats your email address". Job done. Crazy disparity between the two!

I can understand pulling the fuse to connect new tails, but opening up the live cutout to connect an earth into a service as old as that is a bit much in my opinion.

I would agree,and even though the person supporting self-involvement,is unarguably,a knowledgeable and experienced fellow,the ongoing risk of responsibility,is a problem.

I suppose,you could say,if the DNO were asked and gave you in writing,the permission of doing such a task,then the worry has gone.

If you know this is not the case or will not happen - then there is your base-line legal premise,for it possibly being a risk.

I will add one more thing. The investigations,which throw up issues of this nature,are often instigated,due to another persons error,or a random or unconnected incident.

The size and seriousness,of the incident,equates directly,to the depth and quality,of the investigation. Any,and i mean any,deviation from the rules and regulations,present at the time of the work,will be used as a reason to obviate liability,and therefore compensation.

A classic example of this,was the gas explosion,in Eccles near me,some time back,where the plumbers/heating engineers,had some of their work held up as non-compliant and possibly dangerous,even though it was demonstrated as standard practice,known to the gas authorities,and still carried out today.

An incident of such seriousness,which would bring one's own work in to scrutiny,would be a one-in-a-million deal...but we imagine what we would spend our lottery money on,and that's much greater odds.:)

Western Power is the worst I have had to deal with, out of the 9 DNO's in the UK 8 are fine and easy to get on with, WPD definitely let the DNO's down. I have had too many conversations with field/office engineers about putting (small) heat pumps on the network!

I've had complete opposite experience with western power. I find western power to respond very quickly and have always accept there responsibilities with me.
The western guys are brilliant . Always happy to help.

I've had complete opposite experience with western power. I find western power to respond very quickly and have always accept there responsibilities with me.
The western guys are brilliant . Always happy to help.

Totally agree.
We have to get in touch with them at least once a week and have never had any problems. We've had a few instances where contractors have not checked the earthing arrangement before starting the job, which causes a massive headache when the sparx turns up and there's no main earth because it should be reported. WPD have been known to turn up within the hour meaning the whole 'poo hitting the fan' is avoided.

Maybe as I am connecting unusual loads, in the usually the worst places for the network, I get a rougher ride than most when speaking with WPD. Glad you all have positive things to say about them for the issues you all have to speak with them about.

Maybe I need to think and be positive when talking to them, have a little zen moment beforehand, think tranquility and peace whilst asking for a heat pump connection and cross fingers for a simple yes.

:D

I am glad that a few of you have no problems whatsoever with WP. And you or the customer have never had to pay for an earth upgrade repair. You lead charmed lives. Occasionaly I have a hiccup with them however this was not really about who does and does not have problems with Western Power it is more about staff knowing the legal obligations Western Power are under and not getting the customer to pay for their infrastructure repairs..

As I understood it the DNO has no obligation to provide an earth but if they do provide one they are obliged to maintain it. If they were obliged to supply one then we would never need to use a TT system in domestic installations at least.

Reply to I have advanced co-operation with DNO Western Power to be precise in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net