Discuss I need an advice about Economy 7 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Natalia

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a question about economy 7. I have a water heater The Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz. However, my meter reading is single rate. How should I use the water? Is still economy 7 available for me when I don’t have two rate meter reading?
The second question about water heater. There is not enough hot water in it. In the morning, the water is hot, however, at the evening is warm for a while and then cold but it is the most needed then. The situation happens no matter how much water was used during the day. Is it a problem with insulation?
Please, help me and thanks for all advices!

as above. a picc. of the set-up would help.

Natalia

do you have 2 elements on the cylinder?
[automerge]1568051952[/automerge]
The way the timer works is that the element heats up between say 12 and 5am (which if you had a dual rate meter you would be charge less for your electric) and then you have a boost feature to either heat up the same element or if you have 2 elements the higher one, this boost feature is if you turn the dial it heats the water for an hour or so

Natalia

do you have 2 elements on the cylinder?
[automerge]1568051952[/automerge]
The way the timer works is that the element heats up between say 12 and 5am (which if you had a dual rate meter you would be charge less for your electric) and then you have a boost feature to either heat up the same element or if you have 2 elements the higher one, this boost feature is if you turn the dial it heats the water for an hour or so
I understand that. The thing is that I do not have a dual rate meter, just single one
[automerge]1568052423[/automerge]
Hi guys, I have a question about economy 7. I have a water heater The Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz. However, my meter reading is single rate. How should I use the water? Is still economy 7 available for me when I don’t have two rate meter reading?
The second question about water heater. There is not enough hot water in it. In the morning, the water is hot, however, at the evening is warm for a while and then cold but it is the most needed then. The situation happens no matter how much water was used during the day. Is it a problem with insulation?
Please, help me and thanks for all advices!

I know how to use the water heater. My question is how I should use the electricity to make it efficient. Should I use it during the night or it doesn't matter as I don't have a dual rate meter?

I understand that. The thing is that I do not have a dual rate meter, just single one

I know how to use the water heater. My question is how I should use the electricity to make it efficient. Should I use it during the night or it doesn't matter as I don't have a dual rate meter?
as you have a single rate meter you get charged the same rate regardless of the time you use it

You could look into a dual rate meter,but if it is for just heating hot water then it is not cheaper.
Economy 7 was a tariff for those that had night storage electric heating ie "cheaper to heat in off peak periods"
The timer you have was designed for those instances but are now called EQ7 so people are not so confused as they can be used regardless of tariffs
There are many tariffs offered by your supply company so do some research and see what is best for you

Electrical heating is 100% efficient however you use it as all the electrical energy gets transferred to heat. But it is expensive, approx 3 times the cost of gas. If you have a dual rate meter it will be cheaper at night, but your standing charge will be higher.

Electrical heating is 100% efficient however you use it as all the electrical energy gets transferred to heat. But it is expensive, approx 3 times the cost of gas. If you have a dual rate meter it will be cheaper at night, but your standing charge will be higher.
... but your daytime rate is more expensive too... so unless you dedicate your life to using the vast majority of your electricity at night... forget dual rate. (correct at time of posting)

Agree with @UKMeterman , we need to see a wider shot of the electrical set up of your meters.
It looks to me as a communal meter cupboard in a block of flats?
I see a couple of chunky armoured cables and cable tray... not usual in domestic

The number 2 hand written on the meter also makes us think there is a number 1 meter somewhere in the set up.

How is your rooms heated? have you got storage heaters, or any electric heating?
Gas central heating, in which case isn't the water heated by that?

Like others I think that is not likely to be the only meter for the property. Even if the meter was started at 0, which they usually aren't, that's a very low usage for the age of the meter.

The number 2 could just indicate that it is flat number 2 or similar.

Also white faced meters, or completely white meters were traditionally used for the off peak supply.

Reply to I need an advice about Economy 7 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock