Discuss Inaccessible joint box... Compliant or not? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Moved a door from one end of a wall to the other, bricked up the hole and now moving a 1 gang light switch so it's next to the new door.

The easiest solution is to extend the cable from where the switch used to be, cables and joint box chased into the wall and plastered in.

How can I make this compliant?

Obviously I'm not about to plaster in a standard junction box, but can I use a rated enclosure and Wagos?

As I see it two possible solutions:

BRB:- Section 526 applies.

1) Use the existing back box in which to make the terminations, either with choc-block, wagos or small JB and then add a blanking cover to the box.

2) Crimp the terminations and place in an enclosure like a choc-box, secure the box in the wall chase and plaster over.
Remember if you do this it has to be within a safe zone, not where the old cable drop or switch box was.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the exact same thing twice this week, staggered crimp butt connectors, heat shrink sleeving then self amalgamating tape, the ceilings had fancy coving and the customet did not want me going anywhere near it so i ran in as close to the safe zones as possible and changed the MCB to an RCBO

As far as I'm concerned a joint should never be plastered into a wall,no matter what type. Pull the cable up under the floor,and use a suitable joint box to extend it to the new position.
I'm clearly in a minority here,but a plastered in joint has always been unacceptable to me and always will be.

Using the old switch backbox to make the connection with a blank plate fitted would be sensible IMO.

1. The joint is easily accessible should you ever have any problems & 2. The blank plate will warn others that there are cables present in the vicinity

Junction boxs trapped by loft conversion I couldnt access switch wire, otherwise i would of replaced it, customer said no to blanking plate, they all do

Either crimp or solder a new length of cable onto the old, suitable Wago type connectors and boxes are now allowed to be used for permanent inaccessible joints in the amendment.
The cable must be in a safe zone and protected by a 30mA RCD unless the have another suitable form of additional protection.

Reply to Inaccessible joint box... Compliant or not? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net