Discuss Installation Or Maintenance? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jeongong

I recently applied for electrician, and i'm deciding which is more demanding between Installation OR Maintenance path and i want to hear some opinions on which path to go? Cos i would think maintenance would be a more demanding path and possible more jobs? But then again im thinking is "green" installation (cos my course includes it) an uprising thing in uk? Is there many jobs for installation?

Hi and Welcome. Stick around and I'm sure you'll find plenty of advice. The forum's a great place to learn from those in the industry. :)

Looking at the job web sites there are a lot more maintenance jobs out there than intallers. Have a look yourself. If I was in your position I know which way I'd go.

If I I'll be in your shoes, I'll start doing something based on practical experience and leave maintenance for later because is very much related with installations process; most of the time when you verify any electrical installation or sign certificates .. all these require the knowledge from experience comparing with the red book, 17th Edition Regulation.

jeongong, if you mean maintenance electrician it has little to do with installations, installations are just something you may be required to do from time to time, your main focus will be fault finding and keeping machinery operating at maximum capacity ( i think tedy may be referring to the maintenance of electrical installations), the work has good points and bad points like any other but if you enjoy problem solving and working on your own initiative i would recommend maintenance, on the downside, you may not enjoy problem solving when your costing the boss £5000 per hour while you solve it.

I'm a install electrician just turned 40 and want to get into maintenance if I had my chance again I'd have started with a good employer in a factory as maintenance

Depends what maintenance type job you go for. Maintenance work in a factory keeping the machines running or working for a reactive maintenance company driving about doing repairs and installs.

Reply to Installation Or Maintenance? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net