Discuss Interesting Floorboard Find in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tbs1983

Working above an old shop on a rewire today and under floorboards I found an old card tag presumably off an old cable drum when the building was wired or rewired many years ago.

It contained the following information:

Nonazo (Regd.) Cable
Pure and Vulcanised India Rubber Insulated.
Made by a member of the cable makers association.

Guaranteed Insulation Resistance per Mile after 24 hours' immersion in water at 60 degrees faht. And one minute's Electrification 1250 megohms.

Length 50 Yards. Size 3/029

Classification Flat Twin Alloy

Cost 4D

Made in England
British Insulated Cables Ltd
Works - Prescot & Helsby.

Found it very interesting, would love to hear what decade this is from (Im assuming its post Lead) so it must be from a rewire during rubber era.

Would love to hear storied of other people's floorboard finds too!

p.s also found a can of Skol Lager with a sell by date of 1979 on it !!!

1940s 50 s I would hazard a guess I found 20 woodbine's in a roof space once, also found a complete set of encyclopedias up in a roof the owner said take them away they are yours, got ÂŁ250: 00 for them in 1979 between 3 of us NICE

All I ever managed to find was a couple of quid in loose change, rats and mice, some illegal substances and some horrible 60s/70s ----.

I was working in an old residential building , converting to a hotel and found a tin of hot chocolate with a empty pot of chicken paste and a a really old unrecognisable type of battery in comparison to wot we use today (eveready) and paper wrapped . We also found a school book and letters .

Turned out it was a school from London had relocated to rural north Wales during world war 2 and this building was they're temporary school and wot I found was a child's stash under a floor board

When I get home il take a photo of the stash

Last edited:
I just usually find the norm. Vintage smoke packets, bits of vir cable, the odd rodent skeleton. I did once find a dentist's mirror that is quite useful for looking under more floors with.

On a rewire and lifted old lino in one house and the whole floor was lined with old white ÂŁ5 notes , the lady had the windows replaced afterwards with the money , tuns out the old man put them under there years ago and he died ,
Found Swedish **** mag with pigs and birds in it stuffed behind a meter board , I was wondering wether to give it to the customer , but thought better of it , lady is a QC ,,,

Lifted the side panel off a bath once to find a metal savings box trapped under one of the pipes with an old passport with ÂŁ150 in old ten pound notes in it. The expiry date in the passport was 1976.

Stripping out cable tunnels and under the cables I found the usual smoke packets, some 50s newspapers bits, plenty of asbestos, old lamp boxes, a 50s condom packet with various disclaimers from doctors and the like saying it was safe and you would not go to hell for using it and a tax disc dated 1956 costing something like 2p (gave it to somebody that had same make of bike from the period, matchbox iirc)

After that its just the usual dodgy suggestive magazines and newspapers

Another old victorian house I rewired , lifted the lino and floor lined with old newspaper as normal , the front page was the Titanic sinking , I tried lifting it but it crumbled to bits ...

On a refurb recently, up in the loft space of an old building, found a huge map of the British empire dated 1898, population of UK, 39million. Was an interesting read before handing it back over to the building manager.

once lifted a bedroom carpet to find a load of ÂŁ20s. must have been about 3 grand. the customer ( old lady) says " so that's where the miserable sod ( meaning her late husband) hid it."

Worked with a bloke once who found a huge huge stash of "adult art" in a loft and obviously said nothing about it.
He nipped out for some parts 5 min max came back and the lot was gone the guy must have realised and tried hide them

What's all this lifting floorboards nonsense...metres and metres of sticky back MT2 surely makes for a more professional install!!

I never find nowt, most exciting has been old newspapers.

Worse I’ve found was two halves of a No.6 (plain) cigarette packet. One half each jammed in the earth leakage relays on a couple of 1000A ACB’s. We even worked out who’d done it, he’d been dead 15 years by then.

There’s been the usual collection of “adult” magazines in the bottom of panels. Then I hit the jackpot. A half case of whisky, this time I worked out who’d put it there on my own and started back tracking where he’d worked. He was quite fond of rum and vodka, so was I! I was on that plant for about three years and occasionally there would still be a find. Made maintenance interesting.

Reply to Interesting Floorboard Find in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net