Discuss Intermittent Ring fault! Any advice please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

UPDATE! Found the fault. Tested between neutral and earth, however left cpcs in earth bar to see if it was shorting on another circuit or pipes. Tester showed dead short. Traced cables and found they run behind the boxing in for rad pipes. Took off rad cover and there it is in front of my eyes the leg that had been squished.... therefore shorting on to the neutral.... replaced leg of ring and re tested. All good. Must of been plumber who chsnged the stats on the rad cover and squashed the cable wheb putting the cover back. The reason it was tripping every so often was because there was a play centre cabinet for the kids and everytime the kids would push the cabinet it would push the rad cover into the neutral. IR reading are 10megaohms which is not that great but the cable run they have used goes under the floor after the boxing in. All is good now, thanks for everyones help! (Also attatched some pictures)

Attachments

• A5598662-8D92-445B-91D2-5A470DF55189.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 0DD0EF8D-BF03-411C-8DAA-4C46FA048537.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
looking at those pics.are you sure wet-pants didn't nail the cable after you'd questioned his parentage?

UPDATE! Found the fault. Tested between neutral and earth, however left cpcs in earth bar to see if it was shorting on another circuit or pipes.
I don't mean to be unkind, but why did you test without the cpcs connected to the means of Earthing before? It is a requirement of the Wiring Regulations that they be connected when conducting the test.

Reply to Intermittent Ring fault! Any advice please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi guys. Having a weird problem in a house that has suddenly happened. One half of the ring main has 240ish volts (fluctuates of course), and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi there, I’m a new member to the forum and felt like I could do with some additional insight into a fault I came across on a call-out at the...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
Hey there, Sorry I’ve just joined up. I’m a qualified electrician/Electrical engineer. Recently sat my 2391-52. My question is I had a fault...
Replies
Views
Hi all , after some opinions on N-E fault or ring main. After chasing this fault and ruining my bank holiday weekend , ring main IR readings as...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock