Discuss IR test query in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparks74

Evening people

Right,doing a Periodic on some modular built studios & have a few questions i hope you guys can help me with,IR test on a lighting circuit with a few pir's,the pir's are not accessable,so i'm unable to disconnect then, so when doing a IR test is it right to test Live & neutral to earth? also should i be doing this test at 250v due to the electrical components with in the pir?
Also IR on a cooker circuit,would prefer to leave the DP cooker switch terminated due to lack of slack on cable,so when doing the IR test if i link the neutral on both sides of DP switch & again test Live & neutral to earth is this okay? & should i be done at 250v as the switch has a neon on it?

Any help would be greatly appriciated

Thanks

on the lighting, link L & N and test at 500v to E.

on the cooker circuit, if you turn off the cooker switch, the neon is not in circuit so you can test as normal.

There's nothing stopping you doing a global IR test at 500v within the consumer unit between L&N to Earth.
It's probably the safest thing to do on unknown circuits as you can't always be sure what's connected.
If you get a result of less than 2Megohm then you'll need to split circuits though you may well find they'll all be compliant (resistors in parallel).

Are you really sure that you are competent to do a Periodic Inspect & Test if you are asking such questions?

The two queries you ask are very basic, and to do Periodics you really should be a bit more knowledgable than the average sparky.

Also, why would you start taking things apart for no good reason? - undoing a cooker isolators terminals for testing could introduce a fault on re-fitting, so always test with as little dismantling as possible.

Why don't the senior/respected members write out a list of questions that are allowed to be asked where they won't make the person asking feel stupid. It's not a forum otherwise, it's just a ****ing contest.

Why don't the senior/respected members write out a list of questions that are allowed to be asked where they won't make the person asking feel stupid. It's not a forum otherwise, it's just a ****ing contest.
With all due respect mate but that's a pretty silly idea. There's a lot of people come on here who don't have the experience and knowledge of others and restricting certain questions would pretty soon make this a dull place.
Just my two pennorth no intention to start an argument

Lets not get all arsy on here. People have to learn, and the only way to learn is to ask and have a go. I appreciate some members are more knowledgable than others, but once upon a time we weren't experts either.

If we need to question someones ability, then lets keep it polite. no one has to reply to a thread if they don't want to.

My advice to the OP would be, "If you are unsure, then get someone with a bit more experience to come and give you a hand, and show you the ropes".

I have said time and time again, there are no stupid questions, and everyone should be free to post without the fear of being shot down in flames.

Cheers...........Howard

Reading back, nobody was being arsey with the OP and his ability to carry out a PIR wasn't questioned in an arrogant way.
You can't carry out a PIR and give your professional opinion, backed up with professional indemnity insurance if you're not technically equipped to do so. If something was amiss then the first thing the insurance company would do is question your competency.

Reply to IR test query in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net