Discuss Any thoughts on this old thing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bonding in the right hand earth terminals meaning every cicruit is shuffled to the left
Ah they were a little short... and there are some spare terminals.
I didn't know Westy was a stickler for sharing earth sleeving with multiple conductors.
That's the one I was thinking of. And maybe he isn't, maybe it's just sleeving size?!

The original had the CPC's twisted together impressively tightly to the degree I didn't want to risk unwinding them.
So did testing at a socket and left them well alone.

If the cores are really short but just about reach one side of the bar then i will always do what you have done and just shuffle everything down / up to avoid jointing cables.

Likewise if the cores are alrteady twisted within an inch of their life it is often better to leave alone than risk unwinding them just to have it snap right at the top of the cable.

Don't teach stuff like this in the class room

the sharpie marks on the ring finals weren't necessary, don't like sharpie marks.
I'm always happy to learn new tricks. What do others do? Mark cable sheaths where visible? Cable marker clips? Trust you keep them in same order?
My old gaffer used to put nicks in the cables which I never liked!

The number of times I find one leg of a ring swapped with an immersion heater has left with me no qualms about leaving future electricians clues! But I'm open to better ways.

I'm a shameless Sharpie charlatan. But I agree it looks ugly. I have used tape 'flags' and marked the tape with a Sharpie, but they are prone to coming off the cables when the old fuse box is removed.

Hate when peoplle nick the cable , some older sparks I worked with did this and to me was just rough house...

a white tape flag and write on on in biro when doing board swaps was probably me go to, or a little dyno lable

I'm always happy to learn new tricks. What do others do? Mark cable sheaths where visible? Cable marker clips? Trust you keep them in same order?

The number of times I find one leg of a ring swapped with an immersion heater has left with me no qualms about leaving future electricians clues! But I'm open to better ways.
Three rings, cut the ends off one, leave one as it was and strip longer ends on the other.

Fairly common practice with lighting as nicks won't fall or wear off, but never seen anyone nick cables that are ready to terminate.
Always a first, it seems.....YUK!

car lift.JPG

If all the rings tested out before the board swap then it's just a case of a quick continuity test to put the rings back together. No sharpies or flags required.

They're tests you have to do anyway.

Not sure about that 3 - 1- 2 on the RFCs :)
What's that all about?
The marks were put on before I dismantled the old board, before I proved end to end continuity and before I proved there were no inter-connections. I do this if it’s a shared RCD or no RCD as a record of how it was installed.
Just a little insurance policy really.

I’ve had a house once where some highly creative smoke alarm wiring was linking most circuits together. Live from light switch, N from nearest socket etc, and the immersion and the kitchen ring were also involved as well as a link back to a lighting circuit at the CU.
After that rather horrendous diagnostic experience I tend to mark the original position of the 2.5’s.

Reply to Any thoughts on this old thing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net