Discuss Is this a genuine earth rod? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is this earth electrode a genuine, made-for-the-job earth rod, or is it something improvised? With the 2 nuts clamping the earthing conductor, it's different to anything I've seen before, though I don't come across TT installations often. As you can see, it's very corroded, and returns a Ze of about 470 ohms.
P8252093.JPG

It could be a very old earth rod that has lost it's copper coat as most if not all rods are are manufactured as copperclad steel for strength when being installed

It is normal to wrap the connection to the rod with denso tape to stop moisture ingress and degradation of the connection but it is quite common to find rods with connections that haven't

I'm assuming that the 470Ω Ze is at the main earth terminal so it may be worth trying to clean up the rod and reterminate the cable to see if you can improve the Ze a bit then wrap it with denso tape

It could be a very old earth rod that has lost it's copper coat as most if not all rods are are manufactured as copperclad steel for strength when being installed

It is normal to wrap the connection to the rod with denso tape to stop moisture ingress and degradation of the connection but it is quite common to find rods with connections that haven't

I'm assuming that the 470Ω Ze is at the main earth terminal so it may be worth trying to clean up the rod and reterminate the cable to see if you can improve the Ze a bit then wrap it with denso tape
Thanks @UNG . I'll probably just drive a new rod to be honest, but was interested to know. 👍

Thanks @UNG . I'll probably just drive a new rod to be honest, but was interested to know. 👍
That would be my preferred solution TBH, I was only curious what the Ze was on the rod compared to the MET when looking at the state of the cable connection to the rod

Rather than twist a cable round a rod I generally crimp a lug onto the earth lead and use Burndy Penetrox in the cable lug and on the rod clamp when connecting it all up to stop any oxidisation followed by a wrap of denso tape when I put a rod in, I've seen way too many dodgy rod connections with for earth and lightning rods

That would be my preferred solution TBH, I was only curious what the Ze was on the rod compared to the MET when looking at the state of the cable connection to the rod
Would be interesting to know, but it looks well past its best-before date.
Rather than twist a cable round a rod I generally crimp a lug onto the earth lead and use Burndy Penetrox in the cable lug and on the rod clamp when connecting it all up to stop any oxidisation followed by a wrap of denso tape when I put a rod in, I've seen way too many dodgy rod connections with for earth and lightning rods
That is what I have done with some of our rods, though they are 2m x M16 stainless studding that was available. Others have 25mm x 3mm aluminium tape attached so compound very important, got it from here:

Just to add that Vaseline works well at keeping corrosion down for situations where you don't have the extreme electrochemical difference of copper/aluminium joints or similar. Often used on car battery terminals, etc.

Advantage is it is cheap and available from most chemists or even supermarkets, safe for your skin, and washes off clothes and overalls with less trouble than some of the fancy compounds or silicone greases (which are horrible to clean up). Not suited to high temperatures though as melts easily, but for any earth fixings in damp or outdoor locations that is not usually a concern.

Reply to Is this a genuine earth rod? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net