Discuss issues with customer and cost of parking when on jobs!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Perhaps what you could have done is agree in advance in writing that the client is happy for you to park a mile away and pay for the time it takes to transport your tools from your vehicle to her house, then you take a couple of boxes walking slowly there and back then a couple more then another journey, obviously having a break each time you get back to your car so after 4 hours of transporting your tools to her house you then tell her you have to start packing up now and spend another 4 hours slowly moving all your gear back to your vehicle.

I stay in East Ayrshire and if we are at a job and constantly going back and forward to the van we call the roads alliance and let them know we are working.
They let the attendants know and leave us alone
It was one of the parking attendants who told us to call the office to sort things out and even gave us their number.
Bearing in mind it is an SNP council here (apparently won an award for best UK council last year) and they try and help business.
No parking costs after 5pm Monday - Friday anywhere and no weekend parking charges in council car parks (only on street where it is 80p per hour)

Try getting tradesman parking in London... you pay £50 for the privelage
Agree, for the flat build I think it cost me £3200 and don't bother getting a residents bay suspended for a skip as the cost is out of this world seeing the price Thames Water charged me for the installation of a new water pipe.

She had better inform student son to bring his stash of Pot Noodles with him as she won't be cooking him any food.

Well done mate, the way I look at it is you make the life of any trades person working on your house easier, supply with water, tea and biscuits and don't stand there looking over their shoulders as then you as a customer are treated well and not over charged.

Had some windows done recently and kept the lads supplied with brews. Things is they keep on rocking up when working in the area for a brew if their customer is being tight...

I wonder if the client will actually call the NICEIC and complain (doubt it) and whether or not the NICEIC defend their members who under the circumstances make a reasonable well thought out practical request for access/parking to be considered in advance of the work or just not get involved.

Her son can’t be doing much studying if he is home every 3 days to use the 100 permits she has for him!!
Well done, I would have done he same and walked off as well. If that’s what you got about parking, imagine what she would have moaned about on the job.

I wonder if the client will actually call the NICEIC and complain (doubt it) and whether or not the NICEIC defend their members who under the circumstances make a reasonable well thought out practical request for access/parking to be considered in advance of the work or just not get involved.
The NICEIC would in first instance i believe tell her to contact myself to find resolution, but since I never actually started any work I would assume the NICEIC would say nothing to do with us.

Rarely work in urban areas, and haven't tested it for at least ten years, but the rules and regs associated with double yellow lines specify an exemption for those "engaged in the maintenance and installation of water and electricity", or some similar wording.
On one occasion I was working at the end of a local High street, where there was a bus sized double yellow lined lay bye alongside the road. Arrived on the first morning to see the Chippy unloading his van and being hassled by a bad tempered traffic warden, who wouldn't let up until he had moved his van to a car park a hundred yards away. At this point, I pulled into the bay, was totally ignored by the warden, as if I was invisible, and parked there the whole day, and every other day, until the job was finished.
On another occasion, I was working in a very narrow yellow lined street, which also had a small van sized lay bye at one point along it, in which I parked. After a day or two, I encountered, and got into a stand up argument with a prod nosed neighbour over my parking arrangements. I politely told her to foxtrot oscar, and went back to work.
An hour later two plod arrive in a car, and tell me to move. I politely explained to them that I believed I was legally parked. They admitted they had no idea what I was on about, but they would go away and check. They never came back, and I parked in the same place for the two weeks or so that the job took.
On a third occasion, I used an ordinary car for the job since there wasn't much room to park a van, yellow lines or not. As soon as I had parked, I spotted a traffic warden heading up the street towards me, as fast as his little legs would move, notebook in hand, and a look of disappointment came over his face, when I explained that I was an electrician working in a shop a few yards away. I was causing a bit of an obstruction, but by this time a delivery van had moved on from right opposite the shop, so with the warden's blessing, I moved on to the yellow lines there.

Councils vary, Richmond had a traders scheme that was reasonable, Hounslow had no provision at all. Worked for some letting agents so often property was empty so no householder to not get "visitor" permits from. Wrote to councillors, was told they "would consider it" - end of story. Was in fortunate position i could afford to turn down any jobs in Hounslow and just worked in Richmond.

Reply to issues with customer and cost of parking when on jobs!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net