Discuss Joining a governing body? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You don't need to "buy" any certificates (unless you want to), for example I use Excel sheets that are modelled on the forms in BS7671 (EIC, EICR, MEIWC).

Ok that's starting to make a little sense now, what about periodically testing? Will I need to be registered with a scheme or can I do that off my own back?

There is NO SCHEME membership required for doing testing however you need to consider the following:

PL ins
PI ins
Providing certs with your name on and invoices
Declaring 2nd income to HMRC

just to reiterate on previous advice. you don't need to join a scam for testing and a lot of minor works. the only thing is notifiable work, which you can check on from downloading part p of the building regs. from planning portal.

Hello Op1988.

As the others have said you do not need to belong to a scheme (i.e Napit,Elecsa, NICEIC) in order to undertake Inspections or to give out the required documents for an inspection. The only requirement is for you to be competent.

To be deemed competent to carry out an EICR, best practice guide number 4 states the person must as a minimum:

- Have sufficient knowledge and experience of electrical installation matters to avoid injury to themselves and others.
- Be familiar with, and understand the requirements of the current addition of BS7671 including those relating to inspection, testing and reporting
- Be skilled in the safe application of the appropriate test instruments and procedures.
- Have a sound knowledge of the particular type of installation to be inspected and tested.
- Have sufficient information about the function and construction of the installation to allow them to proceed in safety.

The correct forms that need to be completed and given to the customer are Form number 6, form 7 and form 4 and these can be found and copied from the IET website Forms for electrical contractors - IET Electrical

The only time you need to be registered with a scheme is if you intend to do any of the following: View attachment Part P changes - what is notifiable.pdf

Specifically, work that is notifiable will include:
A) The installation of a new circuit
B) The replacement of a consumer unit or
C) Any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location

Also I would look at Murdoch's post number 13 and take his advice regading Insurance, tax etc.

Yes, to clarify for the OP.

The self-'certification' in the self-certification scheme relates to the Certificate of Compliance which they issue to the customer when you tell them you have done notifiable work. It (the self-certification) has nothing to do with Electrical Certificates which should be issued for all work and can be completed by anyone.
By the way, the self-certification schemes do not see your certificates when they issue their certificates.
They only view your certificates when assessing whether you can continue to self-certify.

If you choose not to register with a self-certification scheme then when you wish to do notifiable work you must inform and pay the LABC. On completion of the work the LA will issues a Certificate of Completion to the customer.

So, you see there are different certificates, some of which - electrical certificates - can be issued by anyone, but depending on whether you are registered to self-certify or not someone else will have to issue a certificate.

With non-notifiable work you still have to issue a certificate but that is the only certificate; no other certificate has to be issued.

Clear?

Yes it's making more sense now kind of! So say I want to add a new circuit (notifiable work) I have to notify LABC? How does that work? I phone them before I start the job? How long does it take? Would they need to come out or is it just to give them the heads up that I'll be installing a new circuit at a property? Testing and inspection side of it I get it's just how the LABC process works?

Thanks

HHD, the OP is in Wales so your link about notifiable work in England might not be relevant to them.

Might be wrong but I think its the same in Wales Andy Building Regulations - IET Electrical

Reply to Joining a governing body? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net