Discuss Approved tradesmen scheme in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, as I’m trying to grow my little business I keep coming across many obstacles namely trying to join a competent trade scheme. NAPIT seem to be the only one that suit my current situation.. has anyone any experience with these people as I’m finding it difficult to say the least! Or can anyone recommend an alternative. I don’t have my testing and inspecting ticket which rules my out of NICEIC!! 😭 I need something in place to get my work notified to council

I thought all the schemes wanted a testing and inspection qualification these days, but other people will be able to confirm. Have you confirmed with NAPIT what their requirements are?

The goal posts seem to keep moving, and you need to talk to Napit who I found very helpful when I was in a similar position.

My understanding is that the current position is that an NVQ level 3 plus 18th Edition will get you able to notify domestic work but not carry out EICRs under the schemes umbrella. Doing 2391-52 on top gets you ability to do EICRs under the scheme's name.

I think the non-negotiable part is now the NVQ 3. Possibly 2391-51 too.

Please do post back as it would be good to clarify the current position.
It's certainly no 'walk in the park' these days.

The goal posts seem to keep moving, and you need to talk to Napit who I found very helpful when I was in a similar position.

My understanding is that the current position is that an NVQ level 3 plus 18th Edition will get you able to notify domestic work but not carry out EICRs under the schemes umbrella. Doing 2391-52 on top gets you ability to do EICRs under the scheme's name.

I rang them a while back. It's nvq and am2, which you can't get without your 18th and initial testing. Napit have courses you can go on if you want to be a domestic installer.

Hi please see attached this will get me domestic only need testing and inspecting for commercial

Attachments

• IMG_5104.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 29
Hi please see attached this will get me domestic only need testing and inspecting for commercial
That was my understanding, thanks.
The irony of course is that you only actually need them for domestic installation work.

(Unless you do PV, or want to spend your life arguing with landlords regarding PRS testing )

If I had a pound for every time I've wondered about not bothering....my issue is that if I leave I won't get back in as I only have 16th, 18th, 2391 and their own 7232 which at a particular moment in time was enough to be welcomed into the club.

The irony of course is that you only actually need them for domestic installation work.

(Unless you do PV, or want to spend your life arguing with landlords regarding PRS testing )

If I had a pound for every time I've wondered about not bothering....my issue is that if I leave I won't get back in as I only have 16th, 18th, 2391 and their own 7232 which at a particular moment in time was enough to be welcomed into the club.
So it turns out my NVQ 3 covers part of the testing and inspecting course so I only need to do 2391-51 course to top up for now.

Could always do your nvq in that situation. Could do it in a couple of months easily.

Tbh if I was a housebasher I wouldn't give them my money, total scam.

Could always do your nvq in that situation. Could do it in a couple of months easily.

Tbh if I was a housebasher I wouldn't give them my money, total scam.

He needs to be able to notify work. Yes, he could do it himself, but then he would be paying big fees to the LA building control.

As I said on the other thread (JIB), its all about the money, change the goal posts every few years and kerching, more expensive update courses, more money down the drain and all to feed the coffers of desk jockeys getting rich of our back breaking work, absolute parasites.

I wonder how many decent older sparks say within 10-15 years of retirement will say I cant be bothered with this circus any more and just get a job delivering for Tesco's instead. Not that many younger ones coming through anymore so you are left with the idiots who cant do a decent job or the idiots that are willing to give every penny they earn to someone else.

As I said on the other thread (JIB), its all about the money, change the goal posts every few years and kerching, more expensive update courses, more money down the drain and all to feed the coffers of desk jockeys getting rich of our back breaking work, absolute parasites.

I wonder how many decent older sparks say within 10-15 years of retirement will say I cant be bothered with this circus any more and just get a job delivering for Tesco's instead. Not that many younger ones coming through anymore so you are left with the idiots who cant do a decent job or the idiots that are willing to give every penny they earn to someone else.

You only need to keep up to date with stuff though. As in many professions. Part of your CPF really.

Admittedly if you leave a scheme and rejoin a few years later then the requirements may have changed. But such is life. And don't forget many people on here have been saying for a good while now that the schemes should be more stringent about who can join.

To be fair the JIB has been remarkably consistent about Gold Card requirements, and fairly inexpensive too.

To be fair, up my end absolutely everyone is struggling for sparks. Rates have gone through the roof too compared to the last couple of years.

I am absolutely comfortable with not notifying. It makes zero difference to anything including the standard of the work.

Its a requirement of the profession. I've just spoken to a mate of mine who's gas safe - he has a different opinion to you.

The MOT guy says he just tests cars and doesn't notify anyone. Says it's all the same.

Each to their own.

Its a requirement of the profession. I've just spoken to a mate of mine who's gas safe - he has a different opinion to you.

The MOT guy says he just tests cars and doesn't notify anyone. Says it's all the same.

Each to their own.
Those things are exactly the same as not telling the council you did some work. Exactly the same, lol. Notifying is a giant hoax and people like you allow them to perpetuate it against hard working tradesmen. The only argument you can give for notifying being necessary is 'because they told us to'.

As if you told your mate about my comment too.

Those things are exactly the same as not telling the council you did some work. Exactly the same, lol. Notifying is a giant hoax and people like you allow them to perpetuate it against hard working tradesmen. The only argument you can give for notifying being necessary is 'because they told us to'.

As if you told your mate about my comment too.

Wow, I think we're full on conspiracy theory here.

Obviously the conversation with 'my mate' was made up yes. It was a turn of phrase. Obviously.

Reply to Approved tradesmen scheme in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net