Discuss jump start in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just a little advice, it is now strongly recommend to use surge protected jump leads due to all the electronics on modern cars, if it goes wrong it may end up being the most expensive jump you have ever had...,

leave it in park or neutral.....positive lead to battery terminals, negative to engine casing. This will help start faster, without volt drop.

I do love me a capri. Had the joy of driving my old mans 1.6 laser and his 2.0 S. But he wouldnt pet me in his 2.8 brookland, that was his baby before his mk3 cortina

My brother asked me to jump start his car , I agreed and got him sat in his car and mine was running , when he got a bit of a charge he started it and revved it right up and blew the rectifier up in my alternator , bloody expensive jump start they was . not quite as expensive as yours Boydy though,,,,,loll,,,

best way is once it starts turn on headlights heated screen and heater BEFORE removing jump leads then turn off after removing them,this prevents a surge damaging the electrical system.

Can't beat old cars, thats why I loved mk2 golf gtis and mk1 sciroccos, went like stink, had fancy stuff like fuel injection but it was all mechanical and electrical, no fancy computer nonsense just precision engineering

I started of with a Vauhall victor 101 in green with bench seat and 3 speed column change , good basic car, rust was the enemy , then Hillman minx , another rust bucket , Hillman Imp not bad but engine had to come out to work on it , Triumph 2000 Mk2 , Vauxhall Viva , Chevette , Capri Mk2 , Corsair 1600 & 2000, But the best car I really liked was the Cortina 1600e with a crosflow head that I rebuilt that was manic , you could work on any of these cars all basic ,,,

The start of the rot was when I had a sierra that had a VV carb that was a problem since then things have all gone electronics

I started of with a Vauhall victor 101 in green with bench seat and 3 speed column change , good basic car, rust was the enemy , then Hillman minx , another rust bucket , Hillman Imp not bad but engine had to come out to work on it , Triumph 2000 Mk2 , Vauxhall Viva , Chevette , Capri Mk2 , Corsair 1600 & 2000, But the best car I really liked was the Cortina 1600e with a crosflow head that I rebuilt that was manic , you could work on any of these cars all basic ,,,

The start of the rot was when I had a sierra that had a VV carb that was a problem since then things have all gone electronics

I once had a Fiesta with a VV carb. I took it off and fitted a nice straightforward Webber instead.

VV carbs were crap , I too converted to Webber Twin choke ,good conversions on Fords , massive difference , The other carbs were the Dolerello another good carb , You can't do a thing now with injection systems , I had a mates TR7 in my garage and done work on the head , what a nightmare they are and crap as well shims on the valves , don't mess with cars anymore , I was always welding floorpans on the old cars ,

Reply to jump start in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net