Search the forum,

Discuss Laptop or Tablet in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

firemanowl

I'm looking at upgrading my computer and was wondering what everyone else uses when on a job to do their paperwork? Is there any good software for tablet computers yet so you can do your certificates etc on site or is a laptop better? What does everyone use or is the old fashioned pen and paper the way forward? Any opinions would be much appreciated.

having just "upgraded amtech on works laptop it deffinetly would be a laptop for me for the speed,memory and just plain filling in forms as tablet memory isnt good and the screen size would do my nut right in

upgrade CPU, check fan, ram, just that, maintain laptop schedule, scad virus, stop some services unnecessary, increase virtual memory... i think if do that, your laptop will faster.

Amtech upgrade installed new RAM installed as Amtech support said our notebooks werent up to spec :( couple of other tweks n sorted

You can get a decent HP laptop for around £300 these days and that will do the job with ease.

Do you have certificate software? I bought PIRform recently and its reasonably well thought out.

IMHO I wouldn't bother upgrading what you've got though

I would go with a touch screen labtop that has a swival screen that will allow you to fold it flat and use it like a tablet.

laptop (just upgraded mine and got £100 cash back on it), a tablet would be useful for data input but they aren't good enough to replace a computer yet.

Also I need to set-up port redirection so CCTV systems can be viewed remotely

Pen and paper for me until they start making software for Macs, cant believe how many there are about, PIRform, amtech, tysoft etc etc, ZILCH for macs and i hate windows, virus ridden crap.

a netbook is better for filling in forms, checking the emails and looking up technical manuals as well as ordering parts and material off the internet when you are out on jobs and away from the house/office all day ....you can set up a small printer in the back of the van on a shelf and can even print out reports and receipts and go straight back to the customer a few minutes later which they seem to like, people tend not to like very much hand written documentation these days....
you can also check which shops have parts in stock before you drive out only to get told that they can get you some in for a week on tuesday....so a netbook is good, and its not as easily damaged as a touch screen and easier to hide...

netbooks, are in a rapidly falling market, and you can get some good deals now. Tablets will be the future, but not just yet it seems.

For me at present still using a laptop.

In my opinion, you should go with Laptop as well. Comparatively Tablet Laptop has much more benefits. On Tablet, it can happen that you will have to carry a another hard disk.

If you keep away from ipad, then most android devices are easily upgrade-able. My Xoom has a 32 gig memory card, as well as the 16 gig internal memory, and of course the cards are easily exchangeable.

it depends on your need really tbh. I you do a lot of typing etc I would stick with the laptop. You can get keypads for the pads etc but tbh typing on a laptop is far easier. also screen size etc and applications.
If your just filling a few forms now and again and browsing the net then a pad should be fine for you with the keypads.

also the final 3 factors are
1 how dumpy are your fingers
2 how good is your eyesight
3 how clean are your fingers as the touch screens dont like filthy hands lol

I would go with a touch screen labtop that has a swival screen that will allow you to fold it flat and use it like a tablet.

Look up Panasonic toughbook cf-18 and cf-19 not the cheapest but virtually indestructible

We currently run htc PDA with vixen for our job sheets nobody bothers filling n on PDA as keep crashing, we been using the older toughbook cf-28 for programming on site and just going to look at the cf-18/19 only thing is smaller screen for programming but great for worksheets ad technical manuals

A mate of mine uses his iPad to connect to and set up CCTV systems... Mine stays at home

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do not forget the most important thing is go out and buy a memory stick and always but always back your stuff up either weekly or two weekly and if you dont then dont start crying about losing all your info i got into PCs 27 years ago doing BMS systems and it amazes me how people just dont bother. If my PC drops down dead next week then I will have lost a couple of emails and quotes but some of you guys just work off laptops so beware no matter what you do get back it up

Laptops are the way to go IMO. They let you just get the job done. Tablets are more gimmicky and you'll end up faffing around and correcting yourself more often than not. Netbooks have had there day.....they are only small laptops anyway. The main advantage of netbooks is their extended battery life, but this is offset by a small screen and usually slow performance.

If you have got the cash to go around (ie. in an ideal world), you would go to India or China, and get them to make a tablet app for you, specific for your business needs. Then you could use the tablet to full. I do not know how much this would cost, but boy it would impress the friends to have your own app.

I too like the Asus transformer. You can buy it with or without the keyboard. I find Asus laptops/Pcs to be long lasting and good quality. I built a desktop PC about 8 years ago using an Asus motherboard,and it's still going strong. I have tested one(QVC) and would have bought it but, a new model was due. I think the latest one is the Infinity(due out July ?) Sounds really good. They originally had the Android operating system but the Infinity will have Windows 8. Battery life is very good too.

Laptop with the free MS Briefcase on a memory stick plug it in once a week sync up all my business stuff because I don't trust any computer

Laptop as it's more versatile but please remember to backup. Best tool I have come across is Sugar Sync: Get Your Free 5GB Personal Cloud Now It gives you 4-5Gb storage for FREE. It can be installed on PC, laptops, Andriod Phones and Tablets, iPhones and Tablets, Blackberrys, etc. You just select the folders you want backed up and it does it automatically and even keeps backups in case you delete. You can also share files by adding them to a 'magic briefcase'.

I can fill out forms on I phone if I wanted but id rather just write then input on computer when go home. Also just bought fire tablet this week too.

I would go with a touch screen labtop that has a swival screen that will allow you to fold it flat and use it like a tablet - best of both worlds then!

I would go with a touch screen labtop that has a swival screen that will allow you to fold it flat and use it like a tablet - best of both worlds then!

whereabouts in stok e are you, mate. my lad's in longton.

just bought a tablet. got to learn how to use it.

10" screen. have to slice it up first.

Na sorry not a techno buff everything I buy I look after and only change it if I have to my fluke 71 is 25 years old and my analogue clamp meter would have been the same but for some fool not me who dropped it but as I have said before I started working with computers 28 years ago via BMS systems and trust them as far as I can throw them hence why I back up my business stuff at the end of every week and when I hear about people who lose all their stuff because the computer has either been stolen,dropped, or a cup of tea has been spilt all over it and they have lost everything well more fool you so send the £10 on a memory stick or £40 on a small hardrive

Reply to Laptop or Tablet in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net