Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Lighting Circuit Spur Q&A in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Gents,

Just a quick question. I'm adding some lights to an extension, just a few spots which I plan to take from the existing downstairs lighting circuit using a junction box.
Question being, do I need to add an FCU?
I'm comparing this this adding a spur to a ring final circuit and if adding more than one socket, you'd add a FCU.
Does the same rule apply to lighting circuits? There's going to be about 9 spotlights and two outside lights.
Has RCD protection etc
Thanks
T

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
if you are taking the feed from a lighting circuit, no need to add a FCU as it's already on a 5A/6A fuse/MCB. just ensure that allconnections are compliant and safe. test circuit after alterations.

Taylortwocities

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
I'm comparing this this adding a spur to a ring final circuit and if adding more than one socket, you'd add a FCU.
The point is that the requirement for an FCU applies to adding more than one socket to a RING FINAL circuit.
Lighting circuits are RADIAL circuits where there is no restriction on the number of devices/accessories on a circuit subject to (but not restricted to):
  • cabling distance
  • the value of the protective device on the circuit and (of course)
  • the total demand.

Paignton pete

-
Arms
Esteemed
You will however be required to give the extended part of the lighting circuit you are installing RCD protection.

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Lighting Circuit Spur Q&A in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom