Discuss Lighting circuit through airing cupboard in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

AlanD

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I am running a new upstairs lighting circuit and need to find a route down to the consumer unit which is in the cupboard under the stairs. The easiest and least disruptive route would be via the airing cupboard, in trunking, then under the floor from which I can drop down through the ceiling into the cupboard.

Are there any issues with running through the airing cupboard due to heat? Do I need to maybe run through in 2.5mm rather that the 1.5mm used on the rest of the circuit?

The lighting circuit will have 3 standard light pendants, 1 ceiling fan/light, 6 downlights (LED bulbs), 2 flourescent lights in the loft and the bathroom mirror (LED lights, Demister and shaving socket).

I will have an electrician come in to do testing and connection to consumer unit.

Thanks

T&E cables are spec'ed to run with a conductor temperature of 70degs C.
A lighting circuit run in 1.5mm cable will be fine for what you have in mind.

However (I'll say it before anyone else). You say
I will have an electrician come in to do testing and connection to consumer unit.
But in his/her testing and notification (to the local authority) he/she will declare that he/she has DESIGNED,INSTALLED and TESTED it him/herself. And they will not have.....

You need to get your spark on board before you start to ensure that they are prepared to sign on the dotted line. Most don't do things that way round.
Its like you installing a gas boiler and expecting a GasSafe plumber to sign it of.....

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forums.

First up, are you aware that as this circuit will be serving a special location (the bathroom - see page 6 of Approved Document P - 2013 edition which is applicable in England) that a building control notification will be required?

Due to the extent of the works (it sounds like complete rewire of a particular circuit), an electrical installation certificate will also be required upon completion of the works.

Whilst there is provision within Part P to allow a Third Party to certify such works, the certifying party must also (at least in my understanding) be the designer of the installation. What this means for you is that the person you have come and inspect/test the completed works, must be engaged for the purpose before work commences. They will design the installation which you can then install to their specification. When the work is in progress, they are likely to want to come and inspect it (before walls are closed for example) to ensure you are following their design. You cannot just engage an electrician to come and certify somebody elses works.

With regards to the size of cable required for the installation, factoring in the environmental factors would be part of the design process.

Not much point in posting...
All has been covered in post 2 & 3

Hi,

Thanks for your very quick and informative responses

I have already spoken to an electrician and he is happy to work with me in this way. When we discussed he said he is able to sign off other people’s work and make

The cabling in the bathroom is not changing, this was installed around a year ago ( by the same electrician) so will only be the connection the the junction box in the loft I am replacing.

My plan is to draw up a plan of exactly what I am going to run and what routes it will take before hand, go through with him and then install along side existing connections.

He can then inspect and dead test before anything gets connected to power.

Does this sound sensible or am I going to run into and issues with certificates etc?

We have started decorating in a new house and come across all sorts of issues with the wiring e.g every upstairs socket only having a single cable in and junction boxes being used under the floor. Getting an electrician in to do it in one hit will be too disruptive and don’t really have the cash at the moment. Doing it this way I can do it mostly room by room and then get him in for a day or so for testing and final connections.

as long as your sparks is happy with this, then i see no problem.

Great, thanks for the advice. Can't believe how quick I got a response on here :):)
it's coz all us old coffin dodgers only work till 4 pm. having got up early for a pee, 4 am, then slept till after j.kyle was gone , that's enough work for 1 day.

Your spark should have helped design this.. Why are we helping you design it?

Like I said, I am putting a plan together and will go through it with him, in the mean time I thought I would post on here for some friendly advice.

Like I said, I am putting a plan together and will go through it with him, in the mean time I thought I would post on here for some friendly advice.

It should be up to the person who will be signing the certificate to design the work in this instance.

Are there any issues with running through the airing cupboard due to heat? Do I need to maybe run through in 2.5mm rather that the 1.5mm used on the rest of the circuit?

Why have you used oversized 1.5mm squared when 1.0mm is perfectly adequate, even in the airing cupboard?

It should be up to the person who will be signing the certificate to design the work in this instance.

Yep and he will sign the design off before any work starts. Given that I know the layout of the house I think it makes sense to do a first draft and then he can advise on any alterations that need to be made to the design before I start running any cable, chasing sockets etc.

Yep and he will sign the design off before any work starts. Given that I know the layout of the house I think it makes sense to do a first draft and then he can advise on any alterations that need to be made to the design before I start running any cable, chasing sockets etc.
Why have you used oversized 1.5mm squared when 1.0mm is perfectly adequate, even in the airing cupboard?

OK fair enough, it's on his head then
In that case, I am wondering why you are asking design questions on an Internet forum?
I already said that... Keep up :p

In that case, I am wondering why you are asking design on an Internet forum?

Sorry am I doing something wrong by asking this question here? I simply asked if it was ok to route an 1.5mm cable through an airing cupboard or not. Didn’t realise this would be such as issue for people.

Please feel free to ignore my post if you don’t want to add anything constructive

Reply to Lighting circuit through airing cupboard in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net