Discuss Lighting circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Iona222

Trainee
Reaction score
Trying to fix my mates lights. Keeps tripping I thinking the connecter block can't handle the Amps cause its 3 circuits going to it.

Am I right. What size of connecter block should I use.

Trying to fix my mates lights. Keeps tripping I thinking the connecter block can't handle the Amps cause its 3 circuits going to it.

Am I right. What size of connecter block should I use.

Have you got a photo? The rating of the connector block should be at least the current that will be flowing through it with load switched on.

To be honest, if it is under rated enough to cause a problem I would expect some visible damage, melting etc.

It’s more likely all the same colours have been connected together (not realising 1 cable goes to the switch), bit of a guess but I’m sure all of us here have seen this diy mistake so many times

It’s more likely all the same colours have been connected together (not realising 1 cable goes to the switch), bit of a guess but I’m sure all of us here have seen this diy mistake so many times
Thanks for all the reply, I think 1 of the neutral connection was on the wrong neutral bar.

Be careful! that neutral could be a switch live ,there is usually a neutral “bar” ,a permanent live “bar” and a switch live “bar”, switch live should be sleeved with red or brown sleeve but often is not.

Be careful! that neutral could be a switch live ,there is usually a neutral “bar” ,a permanent live “bar” and a switch live “bar”, switch live should be sleeved with red or brown sleeve but often is not.
Ye, I don't understand. The neutral was the problem mate. What should I have done. When I put them all together they tripped.

Don't know if this helps the OP at all. Note the highlighted switch wire joins the middle live terminal to the light. It should be marked with brown sleeving/tape (or red if old colours). Many out there aren't marked and you have to learn to work out which one it is.

1623166112303.png

Last edited:
exactly, i think your right bud, should I have put this in with the lives? Its wasn't a rosie it was led light.

Makes no difference, rose or light fitting. A switched live cannot connect to a neutral.

See the diagram someone posted above for how lighting circuits are wired. This will answer your question of where the switched live goes.

Reply to Lighting circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net